Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would bet the Charger could take a 5.0L, but I have not seen any chargers on the road.

Someone has to be buying them, they are only $29k, and have a 6.1L 425HP. I wonder how those numbers on paper translate to rubber on the street.

I am going to have to test drive one. I hope I get a salesperson who does not want to come on the test drive. The last time I had one who insisted on comming along, he nearly puked in the car. I like testing what a car can do in a subdivision with lots of right angle turns and no police. I wonder how well the Charger holds onto the ground.

·
Registered
364 Posts
The Charger with the "regular" (350hp) Hemi is $29K -- the pricing for the Charger Daytona is about $31K and pricing for the SRT8 isn't announced yet according to the Dodge website.
I don't think a stock GT will hold to any of the Hemi equipped Chargers -- 260hp vs 350 is a pretty big difference. And of course the 425hp 6.1L Hemi is something only a Cobra can think about.

That being said -- the Charger is one of the ugliest cars to grace the planet recently. I'll take my 260 horse Mustang any day.

·
Registered
58 Posts
They have alot of power, but they weigh 4,031 lbs! If a '05 GT were racing it, im not sure who would win. The GT weighs roughly 3500 lbs, but has 50 less Horsepower. It would be very intresting to watch, thats for sure.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Not sure how much people think their 5.0L mustangs weigh. But mine says the GVWR is 4273lbs. Alot of people say that other cars are so much heavier but that is not true, the 5.0L dont have alot of power for their wieght, but they have alot of torque, which helps pull the wieght and they are geared more for take off which helps get the wieght moving.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Charger Daytona curb weight is 4030lbs according to the dodge website... should be interesting. Can you imagine if dodge/chrysler put that engine in a car that weighted low 3000 lbs (like a 2 door charger? that'd be sick)

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
funkbuster said:
Not sure how much people think their 5.0L mustangs weigh. But mine says the GVWR is 4273lbs. Alot of people say that other cars are so much heavier but that is not true, the 5.0L dont have alot of power for their wieght, but they have alot of torque, which helps pull the wieght and they are geared more for take off which helps get the wieght moving.
typo. 3273 is about right.

·
Registered
60 Posts
This is from Car & Driver's web site today: "At the drag strip, the Charger was within 2 mph of a Mustang GT's trap speed, should you wish to compare apples and avocados." This is the 350HP Hemi they're talking about.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Heh... Motor Trend just did a Bullit reloaded article using the new Charger and a Bullit edition 06 GT (Special from Ford) And the Mustang totally dominated in nearly everything.

And also, it would seem the Mustang is the only car to have kept its heritage... I mean, the new Charger is a sedan???!!? Dodge is crazy... GM is crazy...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Langod said:
The Charger with the "regular" (350hp) Hemi is $29K -- the pricing for the Charger Daytona is about $31K and pricing for the SRT8 isn't announced yet according to the Dodge website.
I don't think a stock GT will hold to any of the Hemi equipped Chargers -- 260hp vs 350 is a pretty big difference. And of course the 425hp 6.1L Hemi is something only a Cobra can think about.

That being said -- the Charger is one of the ugliest cars to grace the planet recently. I'll take my 260 horse Mustang any day.
I don't think the Charger looks that bad. For me, it is all about how the car handles the road.

WOW, I was just looking and Ford is comming out with a Shelby Cobra in 2007, with a 475hp engine.

I think the day of the muscle cars is comming back. When GM discontinued the camero and firebird, and the Ford Mustangs were on a decline, I thought the good old days were over.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Langod said:

I hate to disappoint you, but the 05's have 300hp, and are much lighter than the charger. I'm not worried about anything other than the SRT8....
Until I start modding!!!!!:evilchuck :evilchuck :evilchuck

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
JEB said:
I hate to disappoint you, but the 05's have 300hp, and are much lighter than the charger. I'm not worried about anything other than the SRT8....
Until I start modding!!!!!:evilchuck :evilchuck :evilchuck
The Camaro's coming back, at least. Based not on not on the Zeta, but the Sigma Platform from the Caddy CTS.

(The LS platform is better, so don't worry about the handling).

Chevy never thought the Stang would sell as well as it did, and they're apparently eager enough to get back in the market that they're willing to cannibalize the Caddy name . . .

·
Registered
530 Posts
Goliath said:
Can you imagine if dodge/chrysler put that engine in a car that weighted low 3000 lbs (like a 2 door charger? that'd be sick)
Actually, no. I can't imagine Dodge/Chrysler doing anything but producing the absolute junk trash worthless $hit that they have been known for since the beginning of time.

·
Registered
248 Posts
No it wasnt a typo dude, I went out and looked at my door when I was typing it, then I just now went back out and checked it again and it says GVWR 4273. You might be looking at the GVFW or GVRW. I am talking about a 93 lx 5.0 also.

·
Registered
530 Posts
funkbuster said:
No it wasnt a typo dude, I went out and looked at my door when I was typing it, then I just now went back out and checked it again and it says GVWR 4273. You might be looking at the GVFW or GVRW. I am talking about a 93 lx 5.0 also.

Your GVWR is the weight rating, not the net weight. The GVWR is the rating determined by the factory to be the max weight of the car itself plus passengers and luggage deemed to be safe.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
kscoyote said:
The Camaro's coming back, at least. Based not on not on the Zeta, but the Sigma Platform from the Caddy CTS.

Chevy never thought the Stang would sell as well as it did, and they're apparently eager enough to get back in the market that they're willing to cannibalize the Caddy name . . .
I toyed with some fool in a new 2 door caddy last week, and pissed him off good.
He rode up on my bumper, a big no no, and wouldn't go around. I was in the left lane, so I waited until I came up on another car in the LL, and went around on the right. I stayed in the right, and Crapillac followed, then tried to pass on my left. I didn't let him. I kept my back bumper with his front until he came up on another car in the LL, and I had ALOT of pedal left. I'm sure he didn't, as mad as he was. Cursing at me like I could hear him and such...
I didn't check speed, but we were flying.
So, I'm not worried about crapmaros, either.

I can't wait till 75,000 miles!!!!!!! Then the Procharger get installed!!!!!!!
(Or Vortech, or KB, or whichever I get!) Then ALL HELL WILL BE UNLEASHED!!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Saleen Owner said:
Actually, no. I can't imagine Dodge/Chrysler doing anything but producing the absolute junk trash worthless $hit that they have been known for since the beginning of time.
Tell us your story. What Chrysler car did you own that was a lemon?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
kscoyote said:

Is cadillac going to make the next generation Camero and not Chevy? The price tag has to be 10k more than what chevy would charge, and that would compete with their corvette. I can't see it happening. :shrug

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
magnum said:
Tell us your story. What Chrysler car did you own that was a lemon?
My wife's 02 Jeep Liberty is a complete POS!!!!! Thank God it's a lease, still under warranty.

The tranny (auto) is making bearing noises, and the engine is feeling weak. Brakes are shot. Wheel paint is coming off. Paint sucks. Interior is falling apart. Power window in back driver's side busted, a cable popped I think.

Oh, it has roughly 47000 miles. She got it new.

My mother-in-law's is having similar issues, her's is an 03.

Wife's next car will be a Sport Track, hopefully the SVT! No more Daimler Chrysler crap for us.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
magnum said:
Is cadillac going to make the next generation Camero and not Chevy? The price tag has to be 10k more than what chevy would charge, and that would compete with their corvette. I can't see it happening. :shrug
GM is GM. It's all crap!!!!!!:thumbsup Some of it costs more than others, but it's just the same piece of crap, maybe with more peanuts or corn.

·
Registered
977 Posts
JEB said:
GM is GM. It's all crap!!!!!!:thumbsup Some of it costs more than others, but it's just the same piece of crap, maybe with more peanuts or corn.
Same with Ford. Comparing the quality of GM to Ford is splitting hairs don't you think? GM just makes the uglier cars........with the exception of the Vette of course :D

1 - 20 of 115 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.