Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone Put a Hitch on a 2005+ Mustang GT? If so, how did it do towing... ?I was thinking of putting a hitch on mine in stead of purchasing a truck for the five times a year i may tow.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
What are you planning on towing?

This is usually not a good idea. I know its got the power to pull, and bigger brakes than most trucks. However, you lack mass and wheelbase length to control it. Oh yea, and its a subframe, not a full frame vehicle.

I would suggest finding an old beat up 1/2 ton truck for about $1000-$1500 that looks bad but runs good.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
i pulled a bunch of lawn furniture and bed parts on a 3 rail dirt bike trails using my dads 95 GT. No problems at all
Call up a dealership and ask what the most you can pull and just stay under that.

·
Banned
9,214 Posts
i think its like 1000LBS max toung weight.... not verry much..

im going down to pick up my 77 trans am next week, i cant belive how much car companies want to rent a trailer! the cheapest i found was $64 and some change a day!

i think im just gonna rent one down there and bring it back.
mines loaded down way up north

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
This is out of the '07 Manual:
TRAILER TOWING
Your vehicle is capable of towing a trailer up to 1,000 lb. (454 kg) gross
trailer weight with a maximum tongue load of 100 lb. (45 kg). Do not
tow a trailer until your vehicle has been driven at least 500 miles (800
km).

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have an 05 auto and tow my quad ones a week when its nice out people are blow away when they see it :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
290 Posts
Sounds like a bad idea!!!!

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Call up a dealership and ask what the most you can pull and just stay under that.
This is just not true. There are other factors.

There will be max tongue weight (100lbs as said above)
Max Trailer Weight (1000lbs as said above)
and Max Gross Vehicle weigth... Trailer, Car, Passengers, luggage, amount of fuel, and other things. Remember that you car has a dry weight rating.

I have seen many wrecks in this are due to people towing what their vehicle can pull. Its not about being able to pull, its about controllign it when you get on the roadways. Too much crazy crap happens that you cant be prepared for because you are relying on anticipating wha other drivers will do.

I live in a heavy boating area, and you should see what some of these clowns do. Then what happens when someone with a car tries to pull a 5000lb boat.

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
There is a guy with a legend lime manacharged GT here on the forum that puts his Drag tires and some tools on his trailer hitch and pulls them to the track. Also has a cooler of cold beer in there :D

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Wonder if I could tow my doublewide with the mustang??? I'd probably have to put a wide load sign on the front of the stang though.:badidea:

·
Registered
83 Posts
:bigthumbsupMY TRAILER IS 400LB AND MY QUAD IS LESS THAN 500 AND WHEN LOADED IS PERFECTLY BALANCED THE CAR DOESN'T EVEN BUDGE 68000 MILES LATER NO ISSUES

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.