Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the dealership after installed Bolra S type catback system.

It was okay. I'm looking into header for my next mod.

I wonder installation of header void my warranty or just void

header part only. Thank you.

·
Registered
230 Posts
shorties or long tube?

·
Registered
11 Posts
The dealer cannot void your entire power train warranty for headers. If they find the headers caused a problem with the power train, then they can void that part of your warranty.

The bigger problem with LT headers is they move the Cats. That is illegal on any public road. Depending where you live this may/may not matter. I had LT's, a S/C and Meth injection in my last car and it would pass emissions every year because it was not throwing any codes.

Typically to get the most of LT headers you need to tune the ECM and that WILL void your power train warranty IF the dealer needs to authorize repair work from Ford.

I've never had Mid Length headers on a car so I can't comment. If they don't move the cats, they should be OK. I thought only shorty headers did not move the cat position.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Mid length headers will also move the cats. Because you're in California it's probably not wise to go down this road. Headers really should be tuned and then you can kiss any chance of having your car worked on if something goes wrong in the drivetrain.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Warranties are not that easy to void. The dealer must prove that the after market parts caused the failure. There is federal law out there called Magnuson- Moss warranty act of 1975. The act stated that a dealer must prove that aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before it can deny warranty coverage.

·
Registered
525 Posts
A warranty is very easy to void by a dealer. They can just refuse to work on your car (which they will) and it's then up to you to take them to court. Chances are pretty good you'll lose. As far as the MM act, well, that's not going to help you in the case of a tune.

Mods and warranty claim denial- the truth - Mustang Evolution

·
Registered
29 Posts
A warranty is very easy to void by a dealer. They can just refuse to work on your car (which they will) and it's then up to you to take them to court. Chances are pretty good you'll lose. As far as the MM act, well, that's not going to help you in the case of a tune.

Mods and warranty claim denial- the truth - Mustang Evolution
Incorrect. The Magnuson Moss act very clearly states that it is up to the dealer to prove beyond any reasonable doubt that the modification directly caused the failure that they are trying not to cover. If you put headers on and drop a valve they are still going to cover that under warranty. If you over torque the header bolts when you install them and warp the mating surface that is on you. The dealer can't just say "eh you changed something, no warranty for you" Highly illegal and they have a lot to lose. That said, make damn sure your mods are done correctly and you know what it will effect.

·
Registered
525 Posts
The Magnuson Moss act was put in place to keep dealers from denying warranty on non OEM parts like fuel filters and spark plugs. It was never intended to help someone when they installed performance parts. I'll say it again it will be up to you to take the dealer or car manufacturer to court. And they have a lot more money to fight you on it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The Magnuson Moss act was put in place to keep dealers from denying warranty on non OEM parts like fuel filters and spark plugs. It was never intended to help someone when they installed performance parts. I'll say it again it will be up to you to take the dealer or car manufacturer to court. And they have a lot more money to fight you on it.
Incorrect. The Act covers warranties on repair or replacement parts in consumer products, there is no distinction for OEM and non OEM.

Law aside, it is always in the best interest of the dealer to cover warranty items. Primarily it is the good will to their customers, but secondary, Ford does pay them for the work and it is an opportunity to sell more work to the customer. If the modification clearly did not lead to the failure, Ford WILL cover it. The dealer does NOT want to go to court any more than you. The consumer also has the advantage of the office of consumer liaison that every manufacturer has in house to advocate for them.

Mod away, just be aware if your mod leads directly to another failure it may not be covered. other than that is is required by law to be covered.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Incorrect. The Act covers warranties on repair or replacement parts in consumer products, there is no distinction for OEM and non OEM.

Law aside, it is always in the best interest of the dealer to cover warranty items. Primarily it is the good will to their customers, but secondary, Ford does pay them for the work and it is an opportunity to sell more work to the customer. If the modification clearly did not lead to the failure, Ford WILL cover it. The dealer does NOT want to go to court any more than you. The consumer also has the advantage of the office of consumer liaison that every manufacturer has in house to advocate for them.

Mod away, just be aware if your mod leads directly to another failure it may not be covered. other than that is is required by law to be covered.
So much fail here.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts