Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, Im getting a little bit of a wine from my rear end not sure if this is bad but im guessing it needs oil. what kind of oil does it take?

And on the rear end gear i hear that putting a gear back their is equal to 150 more HP from the motor. so that being said i wanna get one!

1st question what gear do i want for a dailly driver.

2nd question, How hard are they to change yourself?

Thx 4 all the help!:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
Ok. If you're getting a whine from the rear, first question is:
Is there a leak? If no leak, then it's not low on oil. It doesn't go anywhere, so that means it's something else.

Question 2: Is the whine all the time, or when you take your foot off the gas and coasting? The answer will help determine what the problem is.

A rear gear swap is a technically complicated process and it's possible to be done yourself but ONLY if you have experience in swapping gears. It's not something for a novice.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I just got the car and never noticed it until i did 60mph and coast i hear a really quiet whine. it could be the tires not sure.

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
If it gets worse when coasting, then it could a sign the carrier bearing going out. Either that, or the gears are getting worn and the clearance is increasing, causing the whine.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ya, imma wait and see if it gets louder. it may just need a fluid change cause it has been siting up for a long time.

What kind of fluid should i run in it?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, After driving it today i notice i think it is the Rear End that is makeing a whining noise. but when im doing 60mph and i put it into N then the noise goes away. and comes back when i put it back into gear.

What wrong?:headscratch:

·
Registered
704 Posts
And on the rear end gear i hear that putting a gear back their is equal to 150 more HP from the motor. so that being said i wanna get one!
!

gears dont add any horsepower...

buy 3.73s and rebuild your re-end while ur at it...

that will get rid of that whine, plus u will have a nice set of gears in there.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well the whine might be comming from the tranny or rear end im not for sure. I hear it only while its in gear if i push the clutch it goes away.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.