Ford Mustang Forum banner

have to replace water pump and have a question

801 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  BRYAN_93LX 
#1 ·
OK the water pump is going out on my car now I was looking at new ones and ford racing makes a high flow water pump but it says for engines that operate above 6000 RPM but I was wondering if it would hurt or if I should put it on my car instead of the stock flow water pump my car is a 94 gt mostly stock aside from a few things

#2 ·
It's ok

You can use the Ford Racing pump as long as it is for the old school 302 and not the New School 5.0. The pump"s design is intended to prevent what is called cavetation(shoot me if I did not spell that right). High rpm engines can turn the pump so fast that an air pocket develops around the impeller and you end up not pumping the proper amount of coolant which is never good. Otherwise, it is no different than any other water pump. if you are like me, and like quality parts, I would buy it in a heartbeat. After all, not many Mustangs stay stock forever. Congrats on owning a 70. It is one sweet looking Stang.
Fordnut61

#3 ·
Just stick with the stock water pump. You do not need a high flow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.