Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If so, how much did they get you for the installation labor? I'm paranoid about oil temp every time I go over about 3,000 rpm, and i'm trying to figure out if it's worth doing it myself...

·
Registered
435 Posts
What benefit do you seek to get out of it?

There's no reason to be paranoid unless you are taking it to a track, oil temps shouldn't get to hot unless you are seriously doing something you shouldn't on the street.

Unless you do track your car there will be no benefit short of easing your concerns. If that's worth the cost to you then go for it! :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, where I live the temp gets to 115 pretty regularly; while I'm running super whizbang Amsoil, I still want to be able to get on it without guilt.

Nobody has had it installed by a dealer? Seriously?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Well, where I live the temp gets to 115 pretty regularly; while I'm running super whizbang Amsoil, I still want to be able to get on it without guilt.

Nobody has had it installed by a dealer? Seriously?
You talking about the Boss cooler? It's pretty freaking straightforward and easy. It's a job anybody with patience and common sense can do.
If you're unable to, why not just call your local dealer and find out how much they want? The only real time consuming part(s) of it is R&R'ing your coolant (you gotta drop your oil too).
I'm guessing the gougers might try to get 2 hours out of you.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
The engineers that designed the motor said an oil cooler is only necessary if you're road racing flat out for more than 20 minutes at a time:

2011 Mustang GT Coyote Engine - 5.0 Mustang & Fast Fords
But they also said they thought about putting one on. Most likely the bean counters stopped that from happening. It was on the edge that does it HAVE to have it. You have piston coolers that picks up lot of heat fast

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
But they also said they thought about putting one on. Most likely the bean counters stopped that from happening. It was on the edge that does it HAVE to have it. You have piston coolers that picks up lot of heat fast
actually they said they only recommend one if you are spending a significant amount of time at WOT and high rpms and that the oil gets way cooled once the revs drop. so yeah unless your car is a frequent track/road racing car it doesn't sound like you need one. the engineers didn't say "we recommend using one if you live in a climate where summers get over XXX degrees"

since my car is mainly a street car with occasional spirited driving, I think the oil cooler is a waste of money. but hey, it's your car, spending money to overprotect it is your prerogative. the engine passed the same durability tests as previous modular motors, guys.

and yes, I think the 8 qt sump coupled with a good oil will be just fine in helping disperse heat. bottom line, if the car "needed" one, it would have one. most people don't track their cars, just drive on the street.

obviously it makes sense for the boss to have one. maybe 10% or less regular gt owners track their cars. the boss might be like 75% or higher that track their cars so it makes sense for ford to put one there especially since it is marketed as a "track car"

·
Registered
462 Posts
Actually, they said in the 5.0 Mustangs article:
"we didn't want to trade off that low-speed torque because we know that only five percent of Boss 302 customers are ever going to take them to a track day or whatever. A lot of them are only going to be driven on Sundays, gently, and preserved..."

I wish it weren't so - but they're probably right!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You talking about the Boss cooler? It's pretty freaking straightforward and easy. It's a job anybody with patience and common sense can do.
<snip>
Yeah, my problem is that I don't have a cool or even shady place to work on it. Sigh.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Actually, they said in the 5.0 Mustangs article:
"we didn't want to trade off that low-speed torque because we know that only five percent of Boss 302 customers are ever going to take them to a track day or whatever. A lot of them are only going to be driven on Sundays, gently, and preserved..."

I wish it weren't so - but they're probably right!
might be so but the boss was designed as a track car, the GT was not that is the bottom line.

therefore, if your GT is not seeing "track" conditions, it does not need it unlike the boss which is designed as a car specifically for the track.

also keep in mind that that FRPP oil cooler might not go so well with your warranty should something happen. it is not seen as an OEM part to the 2011/12 GT and could be cause for blame. just sayin...

·
Registered
299 Posts
might be so but the boss was designed as a track car, the GT was not that is the bottom line.

therefore, if your GT is not seeing "track" conditions, it does not need it unlike the boss which is designed as a car specifically for the track.

also keep in mind that that FRPP oil cooler might not go so well with your warranty should something happen. it is not seen as an OEM part to the 2011/12 GT and could be cause for blame. just sayin...
Really, why is there a "Brembo Track Package" option with "Track Pack" wheels and stiffer springs on the GT?

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Please research the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act before making blanket statements about parts or you entire warranty being voided. Magnuson-Moss Act
i am aware that you cannot just all of a sudden have the entire warranty voided due to a single part but something that directly affects the engine is flirting with dangerous grounds.

i also know of the Magnuson-Moss act..heard it referenced TONS of times but i guarantee you that fighting with the dealer and winning a case will take a lot more work than simply copying and pasting a link.

if you are prepared legally and have the time to endure such a battle, go for it.

i also refuse to waste anymore time to keep telling you/people that FoMoCo does NOT see any FRPP racing parts as OEM nor do they stand by them in cases of failure relating to your original warranty.

·
Registered
299 Posts
"I'm also 6'5" and 270 lbs. and could crush a person's bones with my bare hands"
-Jozsefsz

What if the other guy is a 6' 8" 320 lb MMA champ?

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
"I'm also 6'5" and 270 lbs. and could crush a person's bones with my bare hands"
-Jozsefsz

I'm not sure, I still would put my money on Jozsefsz.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
-Jozsefsz

Wouldn't matter... Jozsefsz has the biggest, baddest cruelest hands in the nation... and at a MONSTROUS 270 pounds, and 6'5" in stature..... his victims bones crack just when his is on the way to the poor soul's house, generally across the nation somewhere.... but in the end, he gets lost, can't read the maps... wastes so much gas driving around that he can't afford to get back to his internet connection where all the toughness is manufactured. :worship

1 - 19 of 19 Posts