Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there,

I have a question or 2 for those who may be able to help me...

My Pony has just recently been acting a little strange.

It seemed as though Fuel wasn't reaching the engine as it should, so there were some possible options that came to mind.

The Electric Fuel Pump could be bad, or a bad Fuel Sending Unit, or on the Fuel Rail there is a Fuel Pressure Regulator and a Fuel Pressure Pulse Dampener. So.. since this car had basically all of the original parts in the motor I went ahead and changed everything out to new.
New hoses, New everything.
I just recently replaced the Fuel Pressure Regulator and a Fuel Pressure Pulse Dampener, and the car wouldn't turn over.
So, my next guess is that it could possibly be the Electric Fuel Pump, so I dropped the tank and replaced that as well.
And... now the Car sounds like it wants to turn over, but it still won't?

Any ideas on what the problem could be because I am stumped! :/

I bled the Fuel pressure relief valve and it shoots out gas only once, if I try to bleed it again after trying to turn it over, the pressure is nowhere near the same.

Any ideas on why the car won't turn over? It sounds like it wants to start, but it won't.

Any help would be Much appreciated!

Thanks in Advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
266 Posts
your looking in the wrong area. turning over has nothing to do with fuel. fuel will help with starting the engine. you can have all the fuel in the world but if it doesn't turn over than it wont start.

You need to find out why it won't turn over. You said it tried so that may say that your starter solenoid is fine. you checked your battery? just enough juice sometimes wont cut it; make sure its fully charged. Check wiring, especially for grounds.

if you still think fuel is an issue put a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel rail for referencing. it has to be 39psi to run properly. if you have fuel and its turning over then check for spark. and check to see that the injectors are firing with a niode light.

·
Registered
266 Posts
i forgot to mention timing...make sure its on the money.
do a search if you need advice on timing. There are pretty recent posts that i can remember about it

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, so I had checked the Battery (battery is good), The Timing is Right on, The wiring is good, and the Car Turns over, but still will not start. The Injectors are firing and the car seems like it wants to start, but it won't. Unfort., I don't have a Gauge to check the psi pressure to the Fuel Rail.
It seems as though there is a blockage of some sort because the car turns over and wants to start, but won't.

The Pressure to the Fuel rail seems to be Ok right when I Turn the car over, right after I turn it off the Pressure drops to almost nothing.

I was thinking it may be the "High Pressure Fuel Line", which I can see just below the Fuel Rail. Any possible chance that there is not enough Fuel being pushed through, or that the line may have some blockage??

This is really strange because the car was working Great, I've replaced almost everything under the hood, and just recently changed out the Electric Fuel Pump, Fuel Pressure Regulator, and Fuel Pressure Pulse Dampener. Only because those were the only original parts I hadn't changed since buying the vehicle. So, I figured just to change those out so it had new parts, but the car still won't start.

Any Ideas???

Thanks.

·
Registered
266 Posts
ok well...
I don't have a Gauge to check the psi pressure to the Fuel Rail.
The Pressure to the Fuel rail seems to be Ok right when I Turn the car over, right after I turn it off the Pressure drops to almost nothing.
i dont understand...where are you seeing the pressure dropping if you dont have a gauge to check? and if you did, and if the fuel pressure was dropping fast after you let off of it then you have a leakdown problem because it should hold pressure for a short while

do a compression check. oh and you will probably hurt your wallet before finding the problem if you keep on throwing parts at it...ask me how i know.

what ignition parts do you have on it? (plugs/wires, rotor cap, tfi, pip) are they off brand or motocraft?

you need three things to start...good compression, 39psi fuel, and spark at the right time. if any of those are off then it wont start

that being said have you checked for spark?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey there, I keep hearing that I need to check my (TPS) Throttle Position Sensor on my 1989 Ford Mustang 4 Cylinder A 2.3L EFI - and I can't seem to locate it, even online...

Where can I find this piece on the motor??

I found where it is on a 5.0 motor, but not for a 2.3L

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts