Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to my local PPG distributor today and gave him the code for Rangoon Red (71243).

He told me that Rangoon Red was never converted from the original lacquer over to single stage acrylic enamel, and that his computer system was coming up with another name instead (Fieta Red?), which is only available in a base coat/clear coat.

I find this very hard to believe, since I have never encountered this before with MANY classic car colors, including some pretty obscure ones.....has anyone ever bought Rangoon Red in an acrylic enamel through PPG?

Thanks

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Hello.:) :welcome The person at your PPG store doesn't know what he's talking about. As luck would have it, I have a can of Rangoon Red acrylic enamel that I got at, that's right, you guessed it, PPG. :gringreen Maybe this will help the guy out in mixing you a can. :)
And, you might also want to point out to this guy how Ford did not paint Mustangs with lacquer in the 60s. It was either an acrylic or non-acrylic enamel, depending on what color it was. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
471 Posts
:welcome to the forum. Lot of good help and info here :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The person at your PPG store doesn't know what he's talking about. As luck would have it, I have a can of Rangoon Red acrylic enamel that I got at, that's right, you guessed it, PPG. :gringreen
Veronica, thank you so much for the response.....those pictures are worth a 1,000 words each. This should definitely help me get what I need.

Like I said, this is usually a great paint store, and they have helped me out many times before. I don't know if the guy was having an off day, but I knew that once his system came up with the "Fiesta Red", we had gone down a rabbit hole that we weren't coming out of.

I'll print out your pics, and drop them on his desk next time. Thanks again.

·
Banned
7,170 Posts
the fiesta red is just another name that came on older ford models. that is the correct # 71243. and it is available in almost every type of paint P.P.G. sells. :bigthumbsup btw if any of you have trouble getting a P.P.G. number or code just let me know. i have chip books going all the way back into the 40s. i have been a P.P.G. jobber since 1972. :wavey

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, the plot gets thicker on this one. I went back to the paint store (pictures in hand), and we dug into this a little bit more. Apparently, the DMR464 toner is no longer available, and this is why their system says it is not available in Acrylic Enamel.

This may be a California-specific thing, as this type of stuff seems to hit us first......I don't know. They are telling me that my only options at this point are to either find a sample they can match (doubtful on my car), or pick a red that is close, and hope the toners are still available.

Cindys_sn95, if this is a California thing, would it be legal for you to mix me a quart and ship it surface mail?

·
Banned
7,170 Posts
it may be a left coast thing, i can still get 464. i have a couple of gallons in stock. if i can help you let me know. :bigthumbsup

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.