Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently noticed that I was dripping oil so I started looking around. I noticed that there was alot of oil around the pcv valve. I when a head and changed the crankcase breather filter, pcv valve, gromet and hose from the pcv. after doing all that I checked to make sure that I had a good vaccum from the lower intake and I didn't have any. I would take the pcv valve off of the hose i would get plenty. I don't know what's going on but I had alway gotten a surge in the engine when taking the pcv out of the hole. Dose anyone know what could be wrong? I was thinking that once I get the valve cover gaskets replace that I will get everything back to the way it was. :eyebulge:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Can some one tell me where this damn pcv valve is located on my 5.0 ...I've looked all over and have seen it in the manual but not in my engine...so either I am looking in the wrong place/it is obstructed or it has been removed by a previous owner for some reason...A pictue would be great...Thanks

Jason

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
so where were you checking for vacuum on the lower intake? the pcv is a one way plunger valve, that when crankcase pressure is excessive enough to overcome the spring pressure it will do so and open up the valve and let the crankcase vapors into the intake. if you were not getting any vaccuum at the pcv line and no vacuum but when you take out the valve, vacuum was present, then the valve was closed. check vacuum at the upper manifold. one more thing, a common leak area on 5.0s is the lower manifold gasket.

cfiiman- the pcv valve is located in the lower intake manifold, behind everything. if you reach back there you can feel the line that plumbs into the upper manifold and runs to the middle back of the lower manifold. (its the biggest line)

·
Registered
115 Posts
So it is really hard to see then...I know where that vacuum line is the big one...Is the pcv valve something you just have to feel for or use a mirror or something to see????

Thanks again

·
Registered
4,807 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok I unerstand. but i remember at one time I could take out the pcv (while the car is running) and the motor would change tempo for just a second or so. that's why i'm comfused. I was thinking that the lower intake was building up alot of pressure and that's why my valve cover gasket pushed out. What would cause my valve cover gaskets to be unseated?

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
It sounds like a lot of built up pressure like you are also thinking. Make sure that screen is replaced when you change the pcv valve. It gets LOADED with gunk and can make changing the pcv valve pointless without replacing the screen.

There are two metal tabs that hold it in. A small hook device like used at the dentist works good to remove it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
ive replaced my pcv valve before but not the screen can someone post a picture of what the screen looks like? And is there anywhere besides the ford garage that you can purchase a new rubber grommet and screen?

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Advanced auto parts sells the pcv valve grommet and screen. If you look at the picture above, the screen is below that rubber grommet

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.