Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Isnt the name of the game in induction CFMs? Why dont head manufactures or even intake companies post the actually cfms on thier products from a flow bench?

Has anyone taken a stock product or factory product and stick it on a flow bench? Better yet ported the items to even the cfms evenly? I have heard from old flat trackers it makes a world of difference.:worship

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
44 Posts
CFM is not the only thing to look at. This one of those more is not always better. You have to consider the velocity of the airflow too. 250 CFM flowing heads may work wonders on a 347 stroker built up, but not on a mild 302. Porting the heads will only work if you know what you are doing, you can scrap a set of heads in a heartbeat if you don’t. There are many articles written on the flow of various heads/intakes, most hot rod magazines run flow test and compare them. I have seen them use different motors to group the heads in their perspective performance range. I haven’t heard about it in a while, but there use to be a process called extrude honing. They would force an abrasive putty threw the head/intake to clean up the castings an even out the flow (and yes even flow does help). Seen some good articles on it, not sure what happen to this process. I have 89 5.0 and if I remember correctly the intake side of the heads flow about 150-160 CFM. One more thing gasket matching the heads to the intake can help a lot; this eliminates any casting defects that will impede the airflow. Most good home mechanics can do this.

Well enough of my rambling :) hope some of this info helps

Dart

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Roger that, I remember too about gasket matching heads. I was just curious, I had an old 55 with a DZ302 with a pair of 202 camel backs, and I remember the old flat trackers telling me about flow benching will wake up those heads.

I will check into it, I never did think on velocity to be honest. I will chew on that tonight on the way home....thanks for the input.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.