Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2001 mustang recently aquired an oil leak, coming from the right (passenger side) rear area of the head. Had local dealler look at it and the head gasket was seperated in the rear corners of the head. After doing some checking on the problem I was informed the the 4.6 & 5.4 both have head leak problems right rear on the trucks but not to many 4.6l in mustangs. Apparently the truck prob is covered under a bulletin but not the mustangs. My car has 34,000 miles on it and I had to pay the hefty bill to have this fixed. Which I feel is B.S. Has anyone else haad this problem or heard of any of this.??

·
Registered
604 Posts
UASSTANG said:
My 2001 mustang recently aquired an oil leak, coming from the right (passenger side) rear area of the head. Had local dealler look at it and the head gasket was seperated in the rear corners of the head. After doing some checking on the problem I was informed the the 4.6 & 5.4 both have head leak problems right rear on the trucks but not to many 4.6l in mustangs. Apparently the truck prob is covered under a bulletin but not the mustangs. My car has 34,000 miles on it and I had to pay the hefty bill to have this fixed. Which I feel is B.S. Has anyone else haad this problem or heard of any of this.??
If your car has a blown head gasket, it will not leak oil from the cylinder head. It will leak coolant. Your car will also overheat, your oil may look "milky", and you might have white smoke coming from your exhaust. I think this STEALERship is trying to rip you off....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Total BS

I have a 2001 with 80K and it just started, I haven’t gotten it fixed yet and I am PISSEd to say the least. This is my 3rd Mustang I have owned and I HAVE NEVER had a leak before. My first one was a Mustang GT 1990 5.0 great car put 140K on it before I got a new one. Never had 1 leak. Now I have a 2001 Mustang GT and it figures once I get it paid off I would start to have problems! First my bell housing on the rear axle leaked.. CRAPPY bad seal had to fix that, and now ... My right rear head gasket! I can’t think what else it could be, and YES only Oil (Thank God) haven’t seen any water in the mix. This is a great Example how the freak'n bean counters at Ford have RUINED a GREAT CAR... Just so they could Save a couple of Dollars on making a Car and go .. “Well we figure they will be out of warranty by the time the seal goes bad..” THIS is TERRIBLE and Ford will be getting an Ear Lashing from me! :mad::frustrated:

·
Registered
182 Posts
The problem you are having is known as brinelling. Here is a link to a pretty good article about this http://ammtiac.alionscience.com/pdf/2005MaterialEASE30.pdf.
What happens here is the aluminum head expands and contracts quite a bit,plus the pressure and vibrations from the engine and it will actually wear a groove in the head at the high pressure oil feed port.
What they have done to correct this is they use a different head gasket which is a multi-layer steel gasket with a larger hole for the high pressure oil feed. The multi-layer gasket can actually move with the expanding and contracting of the metal to prevent this from happening. This from what I understand happens quite a bit on motorcycle engines and also with bearings.
Ford has a TSB out on this 03-6-2 but there is not a recall or owner notification program for this.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just a thought here but did they check on your powertrain warranty. I would sure hope that something like this would be covered under it and probably is have them check for coverage you should be covered by milage being at 34,000 but the time is the other issue. If they deny you on that you could always see if the could call the Distric Manager for some good will assistance.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Just a thought here but did they check on your powertrain warranty. I would sure hope that something like this would be covered under it and probably is have them check for coverage you should be covered by milage being at 34,000 but the time is the other issue. If they deny you on that you could always see if the could call the Distric Manager for some good will assistance.
His will be to old 7years, factory warranty was 36/36 and once it is over 7yrs old even district manager can't help.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Get some Felpro permatorque gaskets; they are cheaper than the Ford's and function better!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.