Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help ! all of a sudden my 1965 Mustang coupe has developed a electrical problem. When I pull the head light switch (turning on lights) my starter kicks over with the engine running or off. I traced the wires from the head light switch to the firewall to starter and can not find anything wrong. I checked the wiring from the ignition switch to fire wall and starter can not find a problem. Does anybody know what would cause this problem??

·
Registered
146 Posts
I need help ! all of a sudden my 1965 Mustang coupe has developed a electrical problem. When I pull the head light switch (turning on lights) my starter kicks over with the engine running or off. I traced the wires from the head light switch to the firewall to starter and can not find anything wrong. I checked the wiring from the ignition switch to fire wall and starter can not find a problem. Does anybody know what would cause this problem??
The S lead on your starter solenoid is being energized somehow when light switch is pulled on. With engine running remove the S lead on the solenoid(the one nearest the large positive post that comes from battery) and pull light switch and with a test lite or voltmeter see if you have voltage on the wire. If you do, then you have to retrace wiring. It could also be a defective solenoid.

·
Registered
249 Posts
How long have you had this car? Has there been any recent work? Did it just start all of a sudden? It sounds like either a crossed wire, or someone wired something together wrong. My friend had a similar problem. When he would hit his brakes, his radio would turn on. We traced the problem and found out the guy who had his truck before him wired the power for the radio into the brake light switch under the dash! I bet you have a very similar problem.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bought the car last year, the only work done to the car is a new intake manifold and carb. The problem just all of a sudden started a few days after driving it the whole weekend. I got in one morning started the car and as I was driving away i turned on the head lights andthe starter kicked in.
I have had one person tell me it was the neutral safety switch another telling me it had to be a short in the dash but I checked the wiring in the dash and have not found the problem.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have been tied up and have not been able to post. But in case anybody else has this problem here was the problem.

The wire harness from the Neutral Saftey switch was touching the exhaust manifold and melted resulting in a short. Once i saw this I cut the wires and problem with starting the car with the head light switch was gone. I relaced the Neutral Saftey switch and been happy since.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Thanks for posting what you found that was wrong. I'm sure that there is someone that has had the same problem and being thoughtful enough to post what the problem was has been a big help to them.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Thanks for posting what you found that was wrong. I'm sure that there is someone that has had the same problem and being thoughtful enough to post what the problem was has been a big help to them.

Welcome to the forum.
I agree with The Greek. Kudos for the follow up

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I happy to help, I went through all the wiring under the hood from the altenator/starter to the ingnition switch. I unwrapped the wiring trying to find a short.

I never thought to check the neutral saftey switch.

That is why we are all here right, to help

1 - 8 of 8 Posts