Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys jus got this motor to start the swap ive been posting :?:about recently, its on 02 windstar with a connecting rod out the side of er lol, but i just noticed that the cooling outlet (or inlet) coming from the upper intake is actually pointing towards the firewall side of the vehicle, just wondering has anyone had this problem??? Can i just make an elbow and make my own lines or option 2 is can i literally just turn my intake towards the front,along with my upper, i mean my mechanic and i were sizing it up it looks transversable. A few thoughts before i start taking it apart would be nice guys thanks! ps im trying to get this done the week i unno if theres a way to get everyone to see this but id like only serious replies. Appreciate it guys:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
263 Posts
I'm thinking that the front and back gaskets (intake to block) are different. I don't think the intake can be rotated 180 degrees. If you keep the outlet in the back, I would piece together molded hoses with bends and pieces of coolant pipes from a salvage yard to make a strong, durable water path rather than throwing on a 3 foot generic straight hoses and trying to make bends in them.

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
what are you talking about exactly? the upper intake doesnt have coolant running through it. can you take some pictures pointing out what you're talking about?

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Yes the Windstar intake is somewhat backwards on the Windstar engine. You can put the t-stat and upper facing forward. It will bolt up fine. The heater pipe would then be pointing away from the mustang firewall connections. Just cut off that bend and use molded hose or a plastic 90. The intake can flow coolant to the block in the front or rear. Just use the mustang intake gaskets and install regularly and the coolant will flow right. There's been several people who have already successfully used the 99+ Windstar upper and lower.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what are you talking about exactly? the upper intake doesnt have coolant running through it. can you take some pictures pointing out what you're talking about?
Lower***my bad i was lookin at the motor with the upper already taken off, its a 3inch outlet tube,pretty big for some reason, and i jus tried uploading pics but i have no sweet clue howto make it work!!! Haha effin computers. And im not sure i get what your sayin metalman, your sayin i can rotate 180 and jus have to mod up a few small connections,??? Because i jus cant see it being correct to leave it facing the firewall and runlike 4 feet of of cooling hose to the front of the motor, jus dont seem right lol.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
I'm talking about the small heater pipe that bolts to the top of the lower and runs down the middle between the 6 ports. Of course you face the thermostat to the front! Lol

That thermostat hole is not 3 inch. Not even close. Exhaust and throttle body are bigger than the thermostat both those are smaller than 3 inch.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anyway u can give a quick hint how to add a pic cuz I got one here of er. Noo not like 3 inch diamiter, the egr tube and cap is on the back side and there is a heater pipe that's out a few inches nxt to that, I think its the same one ur talking about that runs right down the middle of the lower intake. ...wait a sec am I thinkin of this wrong, the windstar motor is almost sideways in the van, so maybe just the fact I'm looking at it wrong?? Like soon as I take the intakes off and lay them on my stang motor voila!? But yea I got a few pics if u wanna have a look at the motor, it do look like the pics in ur link u posted. Appreciate the help bud

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
click the little red post reply button, underneath the submit reply button there is a manage attachments button, click that and a window pops up, browse for your pictures and add them and upload them then post

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Question, should i just reuse my mustang heads, get em milled to make sure there not twisted?? I mean i can buy a lower n upper intake off a 99 anywere around here, but the motor i have is a 03 still attached. So i mean for the sake of gettin the exact right part, should i jus buy the upper n lower, or will i need the heads from the windstar also.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
That's the bypass pipe. Keeps some coolant always flowing so the heater keeps blowing hot and so pockets of really hot water don't form in the engine. On the 99+ intake this pipe bends up and to the drivers side.... Out of the way of the upper radiator hose. So you need to bend that pipe and get a 99+ water neck; or leave it and get a rotated water neck. I have a spare of each I will send you free just give me shipping.

The 94-98 heads are complete different from Windstar or 99+ stangs heads. Just get the Windstar heads checked out and surfaced. Surfacing is cheap.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thats awesome bud!! Ill take everything off thsi motor, and okay about that part, theres a seccond tube right nxt to that one dont seem to require much cutting but woulld i bend that towards the driver side of the mustang also?? , and theres def gunna be enough clearence if i cut n bend this longer tube? Cant wait to start tearin into this lol and jw on this one, my motor is taken down to the pistons, and the cars outside in the driveway this winter season, ofcourse im workin on it there,but like thats not gunna hurt it eh? Its not gettin wet, but i dont need to cover it everynight do i? Apprecitae it bud

Attachments

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
need to cover it? no plenty of people leave their cars out in the weather.. its not super amazing for the paint but its not gonna turn into a pile of rust over one winter.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cover the motor***my bad, all that snow is gone again now green grass everywere lol newfoundland weather is mad. Jus didnt want anything corroding like under the hood from moisture,but i guess it should be fine. So metalman your opinion on this windstar motor i have, should i go ahead and start the swap, im itchin to make this work, ill be the only one here with this setup on my mustang, ofcourse the newer ones have the split port but newfoundland has the lowest number of mustangs in circulation, and that includes the ones in scrap yards lol

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
yes, cover the motor

1 - 16 of 16 Posts