Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of making my next upgrade headers and i had a few questions. First i am going to get shorties cause i want to stay legal in CA. So i would like to know the best place to buy, are they worth it for the price, do they improve exhaust sound, and anything else you can tell me would be much apreheciated. I have a 98 GT. Thank you.:dunce:

·
Registered
48 Posts
If you have to stay with shorty headers to stay legal, I would just keep the stock headers and upgrade to a catted x-pipe and get a good cat-back system. That will have much more of an efffect on the sound and the performance. If you can't go Mid-length or longer on the headers it is a waste of money to change the headers, IMO.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I agree. I live in CA too, so I know what you are going through. The shorty headers are a HUGE PITA to install and aren't worth the money for such small HP gains. Just make sure the H/X pipe you get is catted and is CARB approved, or else you won't pass smog. Catback is legal in CA, thank God!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i already have a cat back system. As far as i know there aren't any carb exempt x or h pipes. Even if you get one that has cats, it still won't pass visual inspection because my 98 came with 6 cats! You can only buy mid pipes with 2!

·
Registered
701 Posts
knightrider_916 said:
i already have a cat back system. As far as i know there aren't any carb exempt x or h pipes. Even if you get one that has cats, it still won't pass visual inspection because my 98 came with 6 cats! You can only buy mid pipes with 2!
Holy cow!
I think they should have put at least 8 cats under this car - one for each cylinder!!! lol

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Man it's really not worth doing the shorty's unless you're already pulling the motor out for one reason or another.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.