Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I would like to put headers on my Boss 351. I have always run stock exhaust manifolds on all the '71s I have had, so my experience is limited on headers. Which ones are best, shorty or long tube? Ceramics? Brand? Are there serious engine compartment heat issues with headers? Just wondering who has done what. Any help on this matter would be appreciated. (Stock 351-4V Boss engine and 4 speed tranny).

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
Unless you go with shorty’s or actual custom built headers, 99% of all headers will require "massaging" to install (whether it's denting a tube, moving a bracket, etc.). Unless it is for racing purposes, in all reality, there are little differences in overall performance between shorties (Tri-Y), mid-length & long tube headers.....shorties actually perform excellent up to about 5500 rpm and then will have a slight drop until 6k rpm when it begins to really decline.....more than enough for street use and much better than oem manifolds.

In general, the head plate should be at least 3/8" (1/2" is best), tubing should be at least 16 gauge (14 is best).....otherwise leaks and burn-though are going to be a problem as well as the longetivity of the headers.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the advice, Beachkid. I think shortys are the way to go for the simple reason that I won't have to alter the part or the car to get them in place. Plus, it is a driver, not a race car. :grinroll:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts