Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i have shorty headers for my 88 gt and was wondering if anyone has had them installed at say a muffler man or equivalent and what the going rate is? if i have to do it myself i will but i just got done doing a lower intake swap and dont feel like taking the time to install them myself. thanks guys

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
You'll pay for hourly labor, and it'd be around 3-4 hours you'll be charged.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok found out everyone charges around 300 and i really dont feel like paying that so me and a mechanic buddy are going to attack it. i know i will most likely have to have the exhaust adjusted for the length but that will be better than having to pay the 300. also what do you guys think of running open headers to the exhaust shop if i have to? harmful or what? i know the risks or myth or whatever people may think of burning a valve just wanted to know peoples opinions

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
It will not hurt anything but at the same time I don't know why you would have to have the exhaust adjusted it's just bolt in.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Just do it yourself, jack and jackstands and basic tools. As long as they aren't longtubes you don't have to deal with a different sized midpipe.

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
If they're shorty headers, they're supposed to bolt right up to the pipes like the stockers.
You won't burn a valve but you could get ugly looks from any badges that may be around.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Do it yourself...save the money and know it was done correctly.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok i started the project last night and got the passenger side bolted up but ran into clearance issues with the steering shaft so i just dented it in just enough to clear it and am going to finish it this afternoon. i will let you know how it goes!! thanks for all the input guys

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
That's common for them to slightly touch the steering shaft.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
No denting required...you can move your steering shaft by moving the steering column to the right, which can be done from underneath the dash by the wheel...loosen a few bolts and ur in business.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well i got them all bolted up and drove it home from my buddies open headers hahahahahahah i love the looks you get!!! i am taking it tomorrow to get the exhaust welded up. might go straight pipes if i dont think it is loud enough for my taste, i only have h pipe and flowmasters so we will see... thanks again for everything guys

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts