Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've answered enough questions recently, time to ask one again :wavey

So, as my sig states my next modification is some direct replacement short tube headers. Now my question is, how bad are these on the install. The shops are all quoting me $300 dollars for just install on top of the $250 I'll be paying BBK or Mac Exhaust for the headers.

Originally I was just going to install them myself, but my uncle warned me that most of them don't fit exactly and he ends up having to take them to shops when he wanted them installed. Now, his car experience was in the 1980's. Since then we've had technological jumps like laser cut parts and RnD performance companies. So is it more likely that if I have a mustang with no previous accidents or damage, will everything align properly if I buy a pair of headers from a named company like the above mentioned. I just wanna swap my stock ones with direct fit shorty's.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Not sure about on an 04', I know I got a quote of $350 to install long tubes on my 07' & they are really supposed to be a pain. Maybe the shorty's on an 04' are just as aggravating.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I installed my own on my 91 LX 5.0 and they fit perfect...
They were BBK Shorty's, And took about an hour to do..

Just make sure you use a lot of pentrating oil the nite before on all the header bolts..

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can understand how long tubes would be an issue, shorties are what the stock is though. . .and thanks for the advice about liquiding it. A little WD40 will save hours, great idea I wouldn't have thought about.

·
Banned
9,157 Posts
shorties arent that hard... they just take some time.

get them on loose. tighten to cats first then bolt to heads...

·
Registered
223 Posts
just changed my 99 v6 headers drivers side 2 weeks ago and passenger side this past weekend...

driver side is a piece of cake. the passenger side sucks. you have to remove intake and egr... the best part is getting the egr tubing in the back side of the passenger manifold off and on.... reason being you have 4 inches of room to use a 8-9 inch long wrench ( wrench needs just under a 1 in opening.

its easiest on the passenger side to use the bolts provided with the bbk headers than the studs because of a poor design by bbk.. they lined up the one manifold tube directly inline with the one hole.

tighten down your cat to manifolds before you tighten your manifold to the block or you will not get a good connection between cats.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Shorties are pretty easy to do.

They are also a waste of money unless your making 350hp.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not so much concerned with what they'll do performanace wise, I <3 the sound. Plus I get to do 2 mods every summer that add up to under 800ish dollars. My Dual exhaust was the first, and this'll be the second. I suppose I'll give it a try, if I fail I know a UTI Senior that has disassembled and reassembled his trans am, I'm sure he could use an extra hundred bucks :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.