Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I'm a very novice mechanic (nurse by trade). What is involved with putting headers on my 06 GT? Is it pretty simple and straight forward take off manifold and bolt on the headers or is there more involved.
Thanks a bunch,

·
Registered
276 Posts
for shorty headers its a simple replacement, but for long tubes you're going to need a new mid pipe. X or H shorty mid pipe. theres also alot more labor involved in longtubes and if your car is lowerd at all there may be some ground clearance issues as well. I know alot of ppl are haveing clerance issues with slp's. your going to get alot more hp/tq out of long tubes but they also cost alot more. so theres pros and cons for each but thats for you to decide. good luck and happy modding:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
2,543 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
I wouldn't do longtubes ever again. It took way too much time and frustration. I'm sure shorties would be much easier but the gains aren't worth the money. I'd recommend longtubes but having an experienced shop put them in.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Randy,
For a novice, it would be difficult. I've been turning wrenches for 30yrs +. It took me 6hrs to install a set of LT's on mine & same for a friends.
You have to remove the motor mounts, starter & original manifolds, jack up the engine. Some brands also require unbolting the steering shaft.
I'd do some reading on the subject & see if it's something you feel you could handle before commiting yourself.

·
Registered
10,877 Posts
Randy,
For a novice, it would be difficult. I've been turning wrenches for 30yrs +. It took me 6hrs to install a set of LT's on mine & same for a friends.
You have to remove the motor mounts, starter & original manifolds, jack up the engine. Some brands also require unbolting the steering shaft.
I'd do some reading on the subject & see if it's something you feel you could handle before commiting yourself.
I agree completely. Its not a job for a novice to try. L/T is the way to go depending on which brand you get will give you ground clearence problems AR, Kooks and I beleive Stainless Works don't have clearence problems. I have American Racing with catted H and have no problems.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.