Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 347 stroker motor #8 # 3 header tube glowing running a 650 holley carb, shelby dual plane intake, mallory 81 ss distributor, hi fire ignition and a mallory coil. pulled the plugs on the glowing tube they had a black film appearence any help thanks Nick

·
Registered
786 Posts
I have a 347 stroker motor #8 # 3 header tube glowing running a 650 holley carb, shelby dual plane intake, mallory 81 ss distributor, hi fire ignition and a mallory coil. pulled the plugs on the glowing tube they had a black film appearence any help thanks Nick
Glowing headers likely means to much timing, or too lean. back off some timing, and if that doesn't cool things off a bit, then jet up a bit and see if that helps.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yah thats a timing problem forsure . .

Check out my posting i put on timing. For the timing on my 68 mustang. .boB helped me out gave me some good advice. Check what he wrote on there.

Whats your temp guage reading ?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Timing, I so would have said clogged converters not letting exhaust escape causing excessive heat build up in headers, just to make sure disconnect your h-pipe and turn on the car, it should be loud as all get out but see if they still glow, if not, converters were your problem form jump street.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Retarded timing causes hot exhaust not advanced. Lean carb will cause it too. Check your timing first, it is the easiest. Without some way to check the mixture you will have to make sure the floats are set right, check your firing order, check for vacuum leaks on the suspect cylinders and let us know what you find.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts