Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have added a Borla cat-back exhaust on my GT, and I thought about finishing the system with headers and a mid-pipe. Firstly, if I got long tube headers and the O2 sensor extension, would I need I need a tune to disable the sensors still? Also, I thought about going with an O/R mid-pipe but I also heard that they don't smell very good. I have never been around a car with an O/R setup, but does anyone else have some input?

As for the suspension, I am thinking about going with the Eibach Pro Systems Plus kit. Besides the "oversized front and rear sway bars, high performance progressive rate springs with matching bump stops, [and] race inspired shocks and struts," what other components would I need such as a bump steer kit, control arm relocation kit, new upper and lower control arms etc. that I have seen advertised. I don't know a lot about the suspension system, so any information would be helpful.

Thanks

·
Registered
74 Posts
Exhaust: LT headers don't require a tune, only thing that makes you need a tune is an O/R mid-pipe which will definitely need a tune. Cat-less cars have a certain smell to them, but I like it :yelpleased: Its just a personal preference thing.

Suspension: It depends on how concerned with performance you are...if its more for looks you really don't NEED more than springs, adjustable panhard bar, and caster/camber plates. If you're looking for the best handling, go with the Eibach springs, Koni yellows, nice caster/camber plates (don't skimp here and just get the bolts, get a nice set of plates), UCA, and adjustable LCA's. A bump steer kit is nice to have as well, but I never got one and just dealt with it on my 98. It wasn't too bad

EDIT: Thought I'd add that since you haven't much experience in suspension, if you do get the adjustable UCA/LCA's and struts and shocks that you get a friend or a good, reputable RACE shop to install them and show you the basics of tuning it. If you're not going to be racing or anything, you might rather stick to non-adjustable UCA/LCAs, cheaper anyways and the adjustability isn't needed for street driving...

A little more info on you're goal for this car would help

·
Registered
74 Posts
Oh, and :welcomesign to AFM :smilie

·
Registered
74 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Ever smell the exhaust from an old (pre 70s before they had catalytics) car? Like that, but not as bad.

·
Registered
456 Posts
To learn about our suspensions, check this out.
Really good info.

Their suspension is pricey but its the best of the best. If youre not looking for top performance though its probably not worth it to you.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Yea i posted that mostly for the info. They have other great articles you can read on if you want to learn about suspensions. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
937 Posts
The only time you'll ever really smell the car with an offroad setup is at a redlight with the windows down or maybe at a drive through. It's not very strong.

·
Registered
74 Posts
LTs will almost always require a tune to correct a lean condition. Very rarely can you run them without.
:oops:
I've got a couple friends with LTs, one of em never got a tune before selling the car and the other had them on for a while before he got a tune, but now that I think about it they were both new edge models... Is it any less necessary on the SN-95s? I always heard about needing a tune/MIL eliminators for offroad pipes, just not LT headers.

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
:oops:
I've got a couple friends with LTs, one of em never got a tune before selling the car and the other had them on for a while before he got a tune, but now that I think about it they were both new edge models... Is it any less necessary on the SN-95s? I always heard about needing a tune/MIL eliminators for offroad pipes, just not LT headers.
Not sure... The S197s do seem a little more touchy though. I have seen a few that ran with no problem. Mine ran terribly lean.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Is the tune done according to the company that make the LTs?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Is the tune done according to the company that make the LTs?
Not that I've ever heard of; anyone who can write tunes can tune for LT's... As always a dyno tune from a reputable shop is best, but I've heard good things about mail order tunes from Bama Chips (though there have been more complaints recently about different things, so research it) and someone else that I can't remember after not having slept last night. A forum search should provide some good info on tunes.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.