Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a tough time deciding what type of headers/mid-pipe to order. Right now I just have Magnaflow Catbacks (non Magnapack) on my 01 GT, while they sound amazing, I'm looking for something with a more agressive sound, without being too raspy. I thought about getting PaceSetter or Mac LT headers matted to a SLP shorty catted x-pipe (have to run cats here in central Pa). But, I want to get the opinion of others of what they think. And, I don't want to spend more than $800 on this set up. Would greatly appreciate any of your feedback!

·
Registered
8,704 Posts
The only real suggestions I can give you are, 1) if you get lt's then buy a midpipe of the same brand; they tend to not be interchangeable in terms of fitment between brands, and 2) listen to exhaust clips on youtube until your ears fall off. Aside from that, you will get a bunch of responses stating, "I have ________ headers with _______ midpipe with _______ mufflers/catback and it sounds better than any other setup I've ever heard." Exhaust setups are like children, everybody thinks theirs is better than yours.

I don't know that there's a dramatic difference in sound from one brand of lt's to the next, most of that will be dictated by the midpipe and catback. General rule of thumb on midpipes is, "x" sounds best when matched to straight through mufflers, and "h" sounds best with chambered mufflers.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks SoCal2V! I agree with you in that people are always saying that their set up is the best they've ever heard, and I think that a lot of people have different tastes that influence that. I think I like the sound of MAC's and Pypes are the best based on what i've been listening to.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
01TT, you are on the right track. The sound is in the eye of the beholder. Some think the raspy is the best sounding, but I personally like the deep growl and earth pounding WOT, but that me. To achieve my sound I went with Pypes LT, Pypes H-pipe, Flowmaster super 40, and no cats, but that me. If you are looking into Pypes. I had some fitment issues with the LT and steering shaft, and the H-pipe did not fit to the LT flange. So, just a word of caution with Pypes. Try and research the best fitting system. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
And when it doesn't fit, take it to an exhaust shop and let them figure it out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts