Ford Mustang Forum banner

Headers or v8 on 1966 inline 6

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Multi68stang 
#1 ·
Right now I am deciding between getting headers for my inline 6 or getting the conversion kit for either a 289 or 302. I want more power but I would prefer torque over horsepower and I heard headers will help with that. How hard would it be to put a v8 in and how hard would it be to take it out and put the 6 in if I was going to sell it original? If I was to do headers how much more torque will I get, will it be a big difference? How much will the conversion for a v8 be? How much would the headers cost and what brand do you suggest for more torque? The reason I want torque is because I heard straight 6's have low end torque. Thanks so much

#2 ·
I always wanted to drop a 302 in mine but was young with no money so I never did. If you're looking for power I would consider doing the swap, I really don't think headers will do a lot for it jmho. The only inline 6 I know of with a good reputation for torque was the 300 that they put in alot of trucks and that engine was a monster that could be put through anything. The 200 that should be in your mustang is a good engine but not the same torque monster. I would look at some of the vendors on the site to start getting ideas for pricing on conversion kits to see if its worth it too you. Best of luck.

#3 ·
You can usually buy the car you want for less than what it will cost to change the car you have. If you add up the cost of the engine, spindles, tires and wheels, rear axle, transmission.......you will have what a fairly good V8 Mustang will cost before you spend the time or hire someone to do the swap for you. Sell the car you have, add that money and half of what you will spend on the swap and you likely will end up with a better car.

#4 ·
It is too late! I've owned 3 - 200 6 cylinder Mustangs. You are beyond the point of swapping a V8 for the straight 6! Most of today's vehicles will stomp a V8!!!. I know, my brother has a good running 289 4 barrel and C4 and it SLOW, comparatively speaking! Keep that classic a classic!, Treat that straight 6 like a good friend! And let them speed away. Your Mustang will drive another 50 years with a 200, just treat it good and quit racing it!
If you want to build a hot rod 289, I've done that too!!! High 13's are fun, naturally aspirated!
What do you want?

#5 ·
Only headers available I know of are from Classic Inlines Performance Parts - Ford Inline Six Products or Clifford Performance: Ford 200 Can't give you any improvement numbers but the real problem is in the flow characteristics of the stock head. In combination with an upgrade to the "68" style distributor/carb there will be enough improvement for you to notice. As alway's, your budget is the key factor. The V8 conversion requires work not directly translated into power gains.

#6 ·
I've always wanted to do a turbo straight 6 in a '65-'66 mustang. A small turbo (like one off a SVO Mustang or a T-bird) will get you the power you want & if the modification is done right (not cutting the car or the original parts) you could always remove the turbo setup (& most likely sell fairly easy) & put everything back to factory if you so wish. If you can mock up & weld the tubing yourself then it'll definitely be cheaper than a V8 swap & as long as you stay under V8 power ratings then you shouldn't have to worry about breaking drivetrain parts. It'll definitely be something different & add to the "wow" & "cool" factor.
Something else to look into is taller gears along with a overdrive transmission.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.