Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok first off i know I won't see any power increase. but I would like a set of shorty headers for my 05' 4.0l cause I think they would look better under the hood than the stock rusty one's. but want to ask where is the cheapest place to buy them? thanks.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
It depends on what you're looking for.

Mac sells a set that can be had for $200-250 on eBay. JBA also sells a set that can be had for $300-350 on eBay. The JBA's are claimed to be the only 50 state smog legal performance headers for the 4.0l mustang, so if you live in California, thats definitely something to consider.

Also check out the usual sites like v6mustangstuff.com, rpmoutlet.com, summitracing.com, etc. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the help guys I will look at the pypes one's

·
Registered
17 Posts
Has anybody installed there own headers? Ive been research how to install them. and it does'nt seem too difficult, except you have to remove the manifold. How hard is that?

·
Registered
889 Posts
You have to unbolt them from the cats underneath. There's lots of minor things you have to move out of your way but except for the cat part everything can be done from under the hood. Once you have them swapped out and torqued to spec, make sure you check and retorque them 3 or 4 more times (after every trip of more than 5 miles) to make sure they're on good and you don't develop an exhaust leak.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
What's the difference in long tube vs. short tube headers? Do they sound different?
Long tubes sound alot better but are alot more expensive, they also give you a better gain but from my understanding you cant go turbo with long tube headers but i could be wrong.

my shortys didnt do much of anything :so

·
Registered
197 Posts
i installed my own shorties. it took me about 6 hours to do but i expected it, seeing as i was kind of new to actually working on my own car. but on some parts it was a major PITA to deal with. taking the studs out of the manifold were annoying to do. i had to put in the supplies bolts where the studs were at. overall taking the stock headers out were pretty easy, but putting it all back together was difficult

·
Registered
962 Posts
mine went on pretty esay,in a couple of hours. Be sure to leave the studs in and use them with the new headers. SOooo much easier,you can even re use the original nuts. You should get a 1 1 1/16 crows foot wrench for the egr tube and you may have to pry a bit on the passenger side to slip( the downpipe) it into position. Just keep em loose til everyhting matches up.Also when usiny the bolts to attach the downpipe I put them on finger tiight bolt head on top,nut and lock washer on the bottom.Worked well for me.
It really is pretty easy...BTW I have the ceramic coated ones,,just because

·
Registered
65 Posts
Long tubes sound alot better but are alot more expensive, they also give you a better gain but from my understanding you cant go turbo with long tube headers but i could be wrong.

my shortys didnt do much of anything :so
any turbo kit marketed for a car (like hellion or HPP, essentially the mass produced units) with require a "turbo manifold" which will be a header that intead of going towards the back of the car with bolt on and be pointing towards the front in most cases.

HOWEVER, if you were to do a custom remote turbo set up (remote turbo is a turbo that is fabricated and functions below the oil pan. think STS corvettes and camaros) you could really use any header you wanted, but this would probably cost you a lot more money in the long run as it would be a completely one-off system and trully custom

FWIW, i plan on getting the mac L/T's and matching O/R prochamber for the G/F's car (she's got an 05 auto V6) for our anniversary. Thinking about it, i'm one lucky *******, been together nearly 3 years and she's the type that loves you to buy her car parts. it trully does make my life simpler, and by the time we've got that on there it should be one mean sounding li'l sixxer

·
Registered
119 Posts

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
sounds good casey but i definetly hear some riceyness to it, it may be the x pipe... maybe the cats... maybe even the flows lol, but i hear alot of potential with those headers

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.