Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of headers can I get so that I won't have to make any extensive modifications for the length of my exhaust to meet them? 97 GT...

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Quality shorties will bolt to your existing H-pipe but this should get replaced anyway because of the restriction of multiple cats. Not a lot of HP gain in shorties on a N/A car. Better off biting bullet and going mid-lengths/long-tubes w/appropriate X/H pipe.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I also agree if you are not going to do anything else to the exhaust it really is a waste of money.
Running a good set of shorties or going the other way the long tube headers.
It really is going to depend on what your goal is.

·
Registered
316 Posts
What would a set of shorties and an off-road mid pipe do? Also, are shorties the same length as the stock headers? So if I went out and bought an off-road H-pipe that would fit a set of shorties, it could bolt onto the stock headers, no problem, until I could get the cash for the shorties?

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
spazzyfry123 said:
What would a set of shorties and an off-road mid pipe do? Also, are shorties the same length as the stock headers? So if I went out and bought an off-road H-pipe that would fit a set of shorties, it could bolt onto the stock headers, no problem, until I could get the cash for the shorties?
-- MustangGT (his 97) is probably at the point, HP-wise, where he'll get worthwhile power from some mid-lengths or long tubes and the corresponding H or X pipe. The Sept. 5.0 Mustang (newest), on page 24, shows nice set of Hedman full-length, stepped, long tubes: 337.50 coated, 236.39 uncoated. Spazzy, on your late model GT, I'd put headers way down list if signature covers existing mods. H or X-pipe ok but would work on breathing on the intake side first. Have you looked at the plenum to air-filter setup John DeMolet is selling: www.demolet.com. Quality shorties (like JBA, not FRPP!) are not cheap and b***h to install. Little gain on N/A car. On an side note, the new MM&FF (pg 160, Sept. 05 as well) has a Crane cam install on mild 4.6 2V that gained 50hp over stock PI cams!?? For both of you, if not going to puff car, I'd research long-tubes or mid-lengths and the necessary mid-pipe. Supercharged cars respond better to almost any decrease in breathing restriction.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Oh headers are way on down the list. That is why I am asking about the mid-pipe fitting. Let me try and rephrase it...I want an off-road H-pipe for my car. But on buying one, the descriptions don't say "Bolt on to factory headers" or anything like that. So I am asking if shorties are the same length as factory. Or to make things even simpler: Can I buy an off-road H-pipe for shorty headers and bolt it onto factory headers no problem?

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
on my 96 GT, answer was yes; did X-pipe first, then JBAs (shortie)

·
Registered
276 Posts
meatball said:
on my 96 GT, answer was yes; did X-pipe first, then JBAs (shortie)
Understand you can't put full length on Auto. True? What would you suggest? Does H or X make a difference as far as low end/high end? What do you mean multiple cats? Thought there was only one on each pipe. Spazzy, I put set up Meatball showed in picture on my car. Wow, what a difference! Highly recommend it. Get alot of compliments from people. Very custom look.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Larry Sergent said:
Understand you can't put full length on Auto. True? What would you suggest? Does H or X make a difference as far as low end/high end? What do you mean multiple cats? Thought there was only one on each pipe. Spazzy, I put set up Meatball showed in picture on my car. Wow, what a difference! Highly recommend it. Get alot of compliments from people. Very custom look.
I really want the full-lengths for mine, but I cannot find them for an auto:sadcry: And as for the multiple cats, the stock mid-pipe has 4 cats (2 on each side). And I may have to go for that setup...I want a C.A.I. and a 75mm TB and I will need a new plenum... Yes, I will go for that eventually, but I think I'm going to go ahead and throw down for the off-road H-pipe.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.