Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The headlights on my 2005 GT are constantly misted internally. I know that this is mentioned in the handbook, and dismissed by Ford as being resolved once the lights are turned on. In the damp conditions of the UK this does not happen. Has anyone found a solution?

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
I'd bring it in to have it checked out! It can't be good! We have all seen 'rusted' / miss colored mirrors in head lights... At least get new seals, sealant!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Just to chime in...

The '97 Grand Prix I bought for my teenager had the same problem; and I mean EXCESSIVELY! After speaking with the service department and some looking through some forums, it was evident that the condensation was caused by poor sealant around the headlight unit. Now, this was corrected in '99 (same assembly, different sealant); so if you ordered a new headlight, you got the new model. I did that and NEVER have had condensation on either one. You could definitely see the difference too. The older headlight had an orange sealant that was brittle and the newer ones had a gray sealant that wasn't.

So, I believe you may have defective headlight assemblies. If it was a bad product being used at the factory, we would ALL have this problem.

--WoMBaT

·
Registered
8 Posts
Fog Lamp Misting

Welsh Pony,
I too have a `05 GT in the UK ( West Sussex) and yesterday in that freezing fog that covered the UK I found condensation in the fog lamps. Headlights ok.
Perhaps they miss read the spec at Ford and thought the fog was supposed to be on the inside!
I will check it out this week and let you know what I found.
All the best.:laughlitt

·
Registered
394 Posts
Life, it seems is not without a sense of irony....

KiLLeR_WoMBaT said:
Just to chime in...

The '97 Grand Prix I bought for my teenager had the same problem; and I mean EXCESSIVELY! After speaking with the service department and some looking through some forums, it was evident that the condensation was caused by poor sealant around the headlight unit. Now, this was corrected in '99 (same assembly, different sealant); so if you ordered a new headlight, you got the new model. I did that and NEVER have had condensation on either one. You could definitely see the difference too. The older headlight had an orange sealant that was brittle and the newer ones had a gray sealant that wasn't.

So, I believe you may have defective headlight assemblies. If it was a bad product being used at the factory, we would ALL have this problem.

--WoMBaT
Well how ironic. Just yesterday we're talking about these headlight assemblies for my son's Grand Prix and guess what? He comes home and tells me he was in an accident! :sterb: Broke the right hand side headlight assembly and damaged the bumper. He got a ticket to boot since it was his fault! He was "following too close" and rear-ended the car in front of him when the lady decided to stop in the middle of the lane for NO apparent reason. Oh well, there goes my premiums AGAIN!

...now back you your regularly scheduled thread....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts