Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried to upgrade or replace the stock headlight bulbs in their 2005 mustangs? All the aftermarket ones I've bought have a longer plug than the stock ones, anyone else having this problem?

Thanks Mike C.

·
Registered
914 Posts
I have the Saleen HID kit, but that replaces the entire headlight assembly and requires the installation of ballasts which the stock system does not have. It is a major undertaking and not at all just like switching out a lamp. So if you are doing more than just a bulb replacement, be ready for some work.

I have to remove the front fascia and the inside fender covers to install them - looks like a good half-day and a six pack. Something to do on a rainy day here when the inlaws are trapped at home too and can baby sit the little one!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was trying the replacement bulbs and not the HID kits. The plugs on the stock 2005 Mustang seem to be about 3/16 shorter that a standard H13 bulb that everyone is selling a a replacement.

·
Registered
767 Posts
There is actually a write up in this month's Consumer Reports magazine about aftermarket headlights. Was kind of disappointing because bottom line, it said that there is no performance gain with the other bulbs over the stock ones. Obviously this is for direct replacement white or blue-ish bulbs and not full HID kits.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I have been wondering about replacing the headlight bulbs. Mine just don't seem very bright at night. I know I put some Xenon bulbs in the Liberty and they are WAY brighter than stock.

So we shouldn't waste our time replacing the bulbs? I like the bluish look better than stock; but only if it's brighter not dimmer than stock.

WoMBaT

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm on my second set and still the same problem. The plug end of the bulb is longer than stock so the plug never actually snaps in.

I'm not sure if they are brighter but the lights are whiter, which I like better.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The bulbs work, however they unplug themselves because they wont lock in place. While driving they come apart kinda fast.

·
Registered
256 Posts
SubZero you have a PM

1 - 10 of 10 Posts