Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

I'm a complete noob with wiring, so I was hoping you could help me out and sorry if I sound stupid.

My headlights and foglights weren't turning on, so I was wondering what was going on...

I was taking apart the dash anyways since I'm changing the color of my interior and found what you see in the attached image. As you can see the plug for the wiring harness is burn out and cracked. What could have caused this? What are my options now to fix it?

Also, I was about to put the negative battery cable back on the battery and as I went to do it, I got quite large sparks. This is caused by a large draw? Anyways, I'm pretty sure I didn't have any switches turned on etc...so I'm not sure why this was happening? Could it be related to the burnt out plug for the harness?

Thanks for the help guys.

Attachments

·
Registered
287 Posts
ok this is a common problem for 1987-1993 mustang gt's it is caused by running the foglights and headlights for extended periods of time.

On my 1988 mustang gt the foglights and headlights quit working all together. I bought an aftermarket headlight switch thinking that was my only problem (when I dug deeper my plug was half melted). I put the new switch in anyways and the headlights and foglights work. I'm going to still repair the harness when I get around to ordering it. I recommend late model restoration (they have fair prices and awesome customer service). They also sell a complete kit but it's over 200 and it has a turn signal switch included with a headlight/fog light switch and a repair harness. I would just get the repair harness and a new headlight foglight switch if it was me.

this is the repair harness you need:

1987-93 Mustang Headlight Switch Connector, Assembled With 6" Wiring Pigtail at LRS - Same Day Shipping!

headlight switch with fog lights

1987-93 Mustang Gt Headlight Switch, Reproduction at LRS - Same Day Shipping!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Additional info: it melted because of continued use that overheated the headlight circuit due to running headlights and foglights. I don't know what causes it to overheat...other than having both headlights and foglights on, but it is common in 1987-1993 mustang gt's. Also the website i sent you links to is:

www.50resto.com
www.latemodelrestoration.com

Both take you to the same place which is latemodel restoration and supply. they are very customer oriented and they have a ton of parts for our cars. I've ordered a ton of parts thru them and get everything in a timely manner. Hope the information helps.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool. Thanks for the help.

Do I need the headlight and foglight switch as well, or just the repair harness?

·
Registered
287 Posts
I would get the headlight switch and the harness. I bought the 29.99 headlight switch and plugged it into my melted wiring harness and it worked. This tends to make me think that something inside the headlight fog light switch also gets fried when the plug end melts. Just replacing the switch in my car got the head lights and fog lights working. I'm still going to get the harness when I do my next order with them, just because I know the pigtail is all melted and no one else might know that, but it bugs me so I will replace it when I get a chance. The headlight foglight switch is 29.99 and the harness is 9.99. They have flat rate shipping of 14.99 no matter what you order, and they have another for like $7 for small items. So for less than $50 you can have it fixed and not have to worry about it for a while.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.