Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2007 mustang 4.0
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been driving at night quite a bit since I've gotten my stang. One of the first things I got was the tinted headlight housing from American Muscle. It barely dimmed my headlights at all when I first installed it, so I know that isn't the reason. The headlight brightness has been gradually dwindling and I'm wondering what might be causing it. I installed a new HID conversion kit to fix the problem a few months back, but it didn't help at all...

·
Registered
2007 mustang 4.0
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've been driving at night quite a bit since I've gotten my stang. One of the first things I got was the tinted headlight housing from American Muscle. It barely dimmed my headlights at all when I first installed it, so I know that isn't the reason. The headlight brightness has been gradually dwindling and I'm wondering what might be causing it. I installed a new HID conversion kit to fix the problem a few months back, but it didn't help at all...
Also installed a new battery a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
Need more details about the "HID" kit that you installed. A true HID lamp is a xenon arc (no filament) bulb that requires an electronic ballast. These are accompanied by a hemispherical glass lens that projects the beam down road.

·
Registered
10,154 Posts
tinted housing definitely does not help, it's like shining a flashlight through sunglasses

for slow deterioration I would suspect fogging of the "lens" cover, maybe polish it?

or maybe the HID conversion is the issue

·
Registered
10,154 Posts
good point about the ground, makes me think of the wiring . . . there are some old posts floating around, on this board I think, where the guys replaced the factory headlight wiring harness with a heavier one, and they got noticeably better output from the original headlights as a result

I'm pretty sure the HID's draw more juice than the original halogens, so the wiring becomes even more important; and maybe a connection has been deteriorating and causing the degradation of light output . . . which makes me think, the OP should check that pretty quick, if a connection has high resistance it can get so hot as to melt or even catch on fire in extreme cases

·
Registered
2007 mustang 4.0
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
good point about the ground, makes me think of the wiring . . . there are some old posts floating around, on this board I think, where the guys replaced the factory headlight wiring harness with a heavier one, and they got noticeably better output from the original headlights as a result

I'm pretty sure the HID's draw more juice than the original halogens, so the wiring becomes even more important; and maybe a connection has been deteriorating and causing the degradation of light output . . . which makes me think, the OP should check that pretty quick, if a connection has high resistance it can get so hot as to melt or even catch on fire in extreme cases
The HID kit came with a new wiring harness but i never got around to installing that. I'm still using the old harness cuz I figured it would do the same job...

·
Registered
10,154 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts