Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've adapted to a boring suburban lifestyle where I don't drive much at night, and when I do, it's usually on well-lit city streets. So in the six months I've had this car, I've never really needed the headlights much.

Tonight was my first time driving on a really dark road. And the standard headlights suck. Even the high beams suck. I guess I can aim the headlights up somewhat higher, that should help the low beams some, but it may throw the high beams off....

Anyway, for all the things Ford did right, I think they really need to improve the standard headlights.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
well im the same way but i have the hids i never drive at night much except with my suv. The hids are nice but a long windy road phew thats a challenge lol

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I don't know what's with the complaints with the standard lights. I can see 50 meters ahead. How far do you need to see?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know what's with the complaints with the standard lights. I can see 50 meters ahead. How far do you need to see?
50 meters is what, roughly 160 feet? At 60 MPH, it would take you just about that distance to stop, if you account for 3/10 sec reaction time plus stopping distance at max braking. So the car is close to overdriving it's own headlights at 60 MPH. That's not good.

So I hope you/me can see farther than 50 meters. I've had cars before with problematic low beams, but the high beams usually punch a bright hole in the night for as far as I can see.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
I can see rather well with the SilverStars, I am on back country roads all the time and rarely use the high beams. And they also do not need the heavy duty harness the others mentioned in the thread do.
Kind of blurry but the pic shows the high beams, they do punch through pretty good.

Attachments

·
Registered
225 Posts
Go with Silver Stars

I totally agree with Ciber Express. When I got my 2011 convertible, I switched out the standard lights for Silver Stars. I have since adjusted my beams up. My only complaint is that the fog lights are not very useful; however, that must mean the new headlights are that good. :yup:

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
I totally agree with Ciber Express. When I got my 2011 convertible, I switched out the standard lights for Silver Stars. I have since adjusted my beams up. My only complaint is that the fog lights are not very useful; however, that must mean the new headlights are that good. :yup:
I put them in the Fog Lights also, lights up in front of the car well in the fog :bigthumbsup
The only adjustment I did was when the car was lowered the front went down .4 inches less than the rear, but I can see the reflectors for at least a 1/4 mile down the road and it shows up well on the signs with the low beams :gringreen

·
Registered
168 Posts
I've adjusted mine and they still suck. I actually avoid driving after dark. My 85 Toyota beater truck has better headlights. They are fine for city driving but I live out in the sticks and have to constantly search the sides of the road for deer.

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
I do a lot of night driving and the Silverstars work great for me. Just like they did on my last Mustang.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
I never had any problems with the standard lights, but then in the middle of the desert it's tough to get a pitch black night. There are just too many stars out, even on the new moon. I eliminated any possible future woes by installing fog lamps in the lower fascia/bumper cover.

·
Registered
526 Posts
There's a big headlight thread on here somewhere...

When I put SS's in the wifes car, she never noticed the difference. Seems that they work better in some cars than others.

I also think part of the op's problem is that you get used to driving in the city where every thing is lit up, no matter how far away it is. Out in the country the only light is your headlights and past them is darkness.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
I love Silverstar bulbs too. The Ultras are great!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.