Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone put in a new headliner without taking the front windshield out? Is it even possible? Im a little intimidated by this headliner right now. I dont see how this cement can hold this much tension. I already took the back window out.

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
well, the point in wrapping it around the window is for the window lip to hold a lot of the tension of the headliner and the windlace probably helps some too but I'd say it's nominal and more for decoration.

I've never seen a car done this way before, I do know it can be done, but I've heard it can be kind of loose, wrinkly, or frumpy doing it this way. I'd say if you already have the back window out, just go ahead and take the front window out as well.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I have a friend that tried to install the headliner without removing any glass. He actually did pretty well. In fact, I was amazed that it looked good by just tucking the edge under the rubber glass molding. The problem arose about a month after he installed it. The edges under the rubber started pulling out. The headliner began to sag and well...you know the rest. All he lost was the cost of the headliner which wasn't very much. Nothing ventured...Nothing gained.

Your signatures says your're trying to restore your car to near showroom condition. I just finished a 65 fastback with the same goal. There are plenty of areas you can shortcut however, in my opinion, this is not one of them. Ford designed the headliner to be installed before the windshield and back glass were installed.

So here's my suggestion. Pull the back glass and windshield yourself.
Clean up the entire edge area. Get your moldings polished. Be careful. Don't bend or tweak them. The repros are crap and don't fit (Trust me on that one) Buy new rubbers and molding clips ( readily available). Find a glass shop that knows how to install classic car windshields. You might have to hunt a bit but they're out there. If you really want to treat yourself, replace the windshield. Carlite brand windshields are readily available and very reasonably priced. Install the headliner yourself. Bring it back to the glass shop and let them finish the job. They are also responsible if there are any leaks.

The price is not as high as you may think. But it makes a world of difference to do it right the first time. Just think how you would re-do it after your car is finished. My $.02. Good Luck :bigthumbsup

Attachments

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
here's my .02 cents worth - actually here in Alaska, its up to .05 cents! lol

I read that you can use short pieces of Windlace to help hold the headliner in place while it dries. I dont know how you are planning on buying the glass (or not) but if you buy the glass and take it to the glass shop...then it breaks while they are installing it YOU get to buy another one. But if they provide it, and it breaks while they are installing it, they buy the new one.

I wonder if you could talk them into using a glass vendor of your choice. Im not to that point yet so i havn't asked them. I really need to replace my headliner also but am scared of the removing the glass part.

Will 45 year old windshields & rear glass come out & go back in without breaking them??

Let us know how it turned out. :yup:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright..ill take the glass out. Probably a good idea anyway..rubber and the Arizona sun dont mix for too long.. The back glass came out fine, ill just do the front myself as well. As for taking it somewhere...eh..I re upholstered my seats..i think i can handle this too. I was just worried about how good that cement glue actually is. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
here's my .02 cents worth - actually here in Alaska, its up to .05 cents! lol

I read that you can use short pieces of Windlace to help hold the headliner in place while it dries. I dont know how you are planning on buying the glass (or not) but if you buy the glass and take it to the glass shop...then it breaks while they are installing it YOU get to buy another one. But if they provide it, and it breaks while they are installing it, they buy the new one.

I wonder if you could talk them into using a glass vendor of your choice. Im not to that point yet so i havn't asked them. I really need to replace my headliner also but am scared of the removing the glass part.

Will 45 year old windshields & rear glass come out & go back in without breaking them??

Let us know how it turned out. :yup:
Removing the glass is actually quite easy. Not as easy to break as you think and you can totally reinstall what you've removed. All you have to do is remove the outer part of the seal (cutting it down with a utility knife works fine, be careful not to scratch the glass) until you have completely removed the top half of the gasket and can see the entire surface of the glass. Don't fret, the glass is still stuck to that bottom gasket pretty well.

At this point, it's probably best to have a helper on the other side of the glass but I did not and had no problems. Perhaps I am the lucky exception. Get inside the car and with your hands flat, gently push out on the glass. I actually started at the edge and it slowly peeled up and just stayed this way. I was able to then walk around to the outside and carefully peel the rest of the stuck down glass completely off the car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts