Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright there is a good chance that I might be buying headrests out of an 86 gt to put in my 89 lx 5.0. I have the sport interior with the full size headrests. I would like some opinions on what is the easiest way to remove the headrests? I've heard of using a slim-jim to do it and was wondering if there is an easier way because I don't own a slimjim. And also I've heard I have to remove the plastic insert piece from my seat in order for the 86 halo headrest to fit...is that true?

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
The first time will take you a few mins to figure out, but once you know the trick, you can take em out in 30 seconds.

What you can do is unzip the seat back at the bottom, slide your hand up the seat and try to feel around the area on the front side of the seat back, right where your shoulders will be on the seat. You should feel a little clip in there. Slide a screwdriver up the seat back and put the screw driver head under this clip and twist. It won't take much pressure. While doing this, pull up on the headrest, it should come right out.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright thanks man if I get the headrests I'll give this a try...Now I see from your pictures that you did it with no upholstery...can this be done with upholstery while the seats are in the car?

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
Yes I can be done with the seat still in the car; just unzip the seat back at the bottom, slide your hand up the seat and try to feel around.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I can be done with the seat still in the car; just unzip the seat back at the bottom, slide your hand up the seat and try to feel around.
Alright cool now on the seat back where is the zipper located? Im guessing at the bottom and you recline the seat fully and it'll be visible or do i do it from the back? I'd go look right now but its pitch black outside and i dont feel like standing out getting bitten by mosquitoes haha

1 - 5 of 5 Posts