Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Twisted wedge heads and a comp cam makes for a happy fox body. Fired her up Saturday night after doing the work all by my lonesome, took right off. No valve clatter, a slight exhaust leak on the drivers first primary was remedied. What a difference, night and day. The xe270 idles nice. I thought it was loud before this, wrong. Love those Spintechs. Checked timing right off, and between the 120k mile cam gear and slack timing chain base timing with the new stuff was at 4 degrees! Bumped it up to 10 and found the sweet spot at 14. Still on stock pump and injectors for now, not adequate I know, so I haven't given her the beans. But, wow, what a difference.

A 255 is a no brainer, will 24# injectors suffice? A Holley Systemax will be dropped on with the injectors before October.

There is a slight misfire, hesitation, skip at cruising speeds under ~2k rpm and a slight surging idle on hot start, a stab at the throttle cures it. I thought vacuum leak somewhere. I'm going to pull codes when I get some free time to do so.

·
Registered
371 Posts
lol... my build that im about to swap over to.... did you go with the 512 lift (351-8)? we have a few similar mods also... im sure the 24 lb injectors will be fine. on the slight mis/hesitation make sure your TPS sensor is adjusted correctly. i already have a walbro 255lph. and how did you adjust your rockers? 0 lash + 3/4 turn or what? i know a bunch of questions but im about to swap my e-cam for the xe270 and my iron gt-40s for the TFS 170s also some im trying to get as much info as possible from the get go.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Nice!! I bet it is night and day with those heads and the cam!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lol... my build that im about to swap over to.... did you go with the 512 lift (351-8)? we have a few similar mods also... im sure the 24 lb injectors will be fine. on the slight mis/hesitation make sure your TPS sensor is adjusted correctly. i already have a walbro 255lph. and how did you adjust your rockers? 0 lash + 3/4 turn or what? i know a bunch of questions but im about to swap my e-cam for the xe270 and my iron gt-40s for the TFS 170s also some im trying to get as much info as possible from the get go.
Yes...part number 35-351-8, single pattern .512. I adjusted idle and TPS after I set timing. I did one bank at a time on the rockers, zero lash and then half turn...tighten the set screw. Ask away man, I might have some answers for ya :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
nice work man. My favorite Mustang I've owned (out of dozens of them) was a '93 5.0 with TFS TW heads and a small cam. The grins per mile were through the roof! :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sharad..there's just power everywhere. I gotta throw some more fuel at it to take advantage of it, she'll be too legit to quit then :yup:

And get a non stock intake, now that's my biggest restriction. Dyno day at the local shop is in October sometime...I'd like to see 320-330ish. Too greedy maybe..

On a side note, whilst I'm thinking of it, the cylinder walls looked amazing...cross hatching very evident in every bore and very little carbon on the pistons. Number 1 was the worst, but still wasn't bad at all. This motor has been taken care of it.

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
Sweet.

The intake manifold will wake it up too!

·
Registered
371 Posts
when are you going to get it dyno'd? and do you already have a adjustable FPR? id like to hear it idle also so is there anyway u can put up a video of it?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dyno will be in October sometime, and I haven't touched the fuel yet. Next time the intake is off to replace it the fuel situation will be taken care of it: pump, FPR, injectors, recalibrate my PRO M. I can get a video for you, I don't know how well an Ipod takes video but that's what I'm working with it.

·
Registered
371 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
371 Posts
man that sounds GOOD!!!!!! where is your idle rpm set at? it sounds better than my current e-303! my cam has a clumpety clump idle where yours has a chippety chip (<---- lol) idle which is what ive been looking for. one of the best sounding cams ive ever heard!!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you sir. It idles at about 900. That was a cold start also, but it idled down at about 52 seconds.

·
Registered
371 Posts
those prostreets sound good too. i was gonna get them also, but i wanted to try those new dynomax vt's out so i succumbed to them. ill put up a video also once i get back from iraq. the dynomax's are a little quiet for my liking, ill see after the cam and head swap also, but ill install some electric cutouts if they aint up to my level. My lm1s, dumped, were retarded loud.

·
Registered
371 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
those prostreets sound good too. i was gonna get them also, but i wanted to try those new dynomax vt's out so i succumbed to them. ill put up a video also once i get back from iraq. the dynomax's are a little quiet for my liking, ill see after the cam and head swap also, but ill install some electric cutouts if they aint up to my level. My lm1s, dumped, were retarded loud.
What are you still doing in Iraq?? Didn't you hear...Osama's dead, the war's over! If only. I was deployed attatched to 3rd Infantry back in 05, what...a lovely country. The link doesn't work by the way. Not a lot of people use the Spintechs, I love em. My car doesn't sound like every other 5.0 with a set of Flowmasters, and at WOT they're pure sex.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Sharad..there's just power everywhere. I gotta throw some more fuel at it to take advantage of it, she'll be too legit to quit then :yup:

And get a non stock intake, now that's my biggest restriction. Dyno day at the local shop is in October sometime...I'd like to see 320-330ish. Too greedy maybe..

On a side note, whilst I'm thinking of it, the cylinder walls looked amazing...cross hatching very evident in every bore and very little carbon on the pistons. Number 1 was the worst, but still wasn't bad at all. This motor has been taken care of it.
even with a new intake you'll probably see high 200's to the wheels. But you never know until its ran on the dyno.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Man it sounds great :):bigthumbsup

·
Registered
371 Posts
i figured it wouldnt work... oh well. yea im still here for a couple months... im with 1st CAV... my car doesnt sound like flows either... and no retarded drone.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts