Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I posted this over on another popular(?) mustang site, sorry Im too lazy to retype everything so, read this Dont know why I did that. Should have been here.
I hate answers like "lets find out" or "try it and let us know" which is pretty typical over there. Unless you need to know the correct black for your window trim or want your VIN decoded. They got that down.

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
The D8OE head has larger chambers, which will reduce your compression ratio. They're 351 heads, but in 1978 the chambers grew in size to 69cc and the valves got smaller. They went from 1.84/1.54 down to 1.78/1.45. These were meant to reduce emissions and improve low end torque.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So heres the question, would i be better off getting a little more air/fuel with the bigger valves at a lower compression ratio on the D80E. Or a little less mixture at higher compression ratio (the E7TE)? I know everyone seems to automatically go for that higher compression option but it seem like a toss up here in my case.
Or is there a major difference in the port design?
Am I getting too technical? Should I just run the E7's cause thats what every one is saying is better? Even though I apparently have the small chambered D80's with bigger valves?
One straight answer from someone reputable here is all I want. I know someone here knows this stuff.

·
Banned
7,170 Posts
bigger valves don't always = more flow. so even if someone has put bigger valves in the D0 heads, without bowl and port work to match they are still old 351 heads. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
So heres the question, would i be better off getting a little more air/fuel with the bigger valves at a lower compression ratio on the D80E. Or a little less mixture at higher compression ratio (the E7TE)? I know everyone seems to automatically go for that higher compression option but it seem like a toss up here in my case.
Or is there a major difference in the port design?
The higher compression ratio, smaller chamber, smaller valved head has the following advantages:

More low/medium rev torque
Cleaner emissions
Less timing advance needed for maximum power so less detonation-prone

There are much better heads than the D80E and E7TE so why are we even having this debate? If you want good-flowing factory iron heads, you can't beat the GT40P's from the '98-'00 Explorer 5.0's. They have even smaller chambers than the E7TE's and a better port design.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The higher compression ratio, smaller chamber, smaller valved head has the following advantages:

More low/medium rev torque
Cleaner emissions
Less timing advance needed for maximum power so less detonation-prone.
Thank you, thats the kind of answer I was looking for.

There are much better heads than the D80E and E7TE so why are we even having this debate? If you want good-flowing factory iron heads, you can't beat the GT40P's from the '98-'00 Explorer 5.0's. They have even smaller chambers than the E7TE's and a better port design
Cost my friend. Im lucky to be able to even do this rebuild at this point in time. Engine had the D80's on it when I bought the car and I was able to get a free (like everyone said they should be) set of E7's. Honestly I cant afford another part(s) right now after finding more issues than I expected when I tore down the engine.

So with that, the E7's it is! Now can I simply swap over my rocker studs and roller rockers into those E7's?

·
Banned
7,170 Posts
nope, e7s are rail type setup. crane makes(used to make)a setup to convert to adjustable. and can use your roller rockers. crane part#36655-16 :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
The E7 head would have to be drilled and tapped to accept screw in studs. Unless you want to do that, you'll have to go with bolt on rocker arms.

·
Banned
7,170 Posts
the crane kit fits the factory bolt hole and converts them to adjustable setup. and no hardened pushrods either. works great. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
These are the kind of answers I like and I dont have to wait for days.

Well I guess since there is really nothing wrong with the stock E7 rocker set up and my roller rockers are just 1.6 anyway, Ill just throw them on as is and do the Crane kit later.

Thanks everyone! :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Since you still haven't bolted on the E7's yet, it's a good opportunity to do a mild port job on them. It's worth the effort if you're going to keep them as I am.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Actually they are bolted on and I decided to just run them as is. Oh well when work picks back up Ill get a set of aluminum heads. Probably Edelbrock.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Think Crane went out of bussines a couple of months ago, just passing it on.
Dave

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.