Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
3,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, probably just paranoia but I heard a loud popping noise from what seemed to be coming from the front half of my car when right during a hard shift from 1 - 2 under hard accleration. It literally sounded like taking a pin to an inflated balloon (just loud enough that you could hear it over the car :shigrin). Anyone ever hear this before? Bone stock car. The car seems to be fine when checking it over. No tire problems, no brake problems, checked under the hood, seems fine but thought I'd get some opinions. Hell, I could have ran over something but I was in the middle of no where.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I experienced that once. It was on hard acceleration and a hard shift from 1st to 2nd. Heard a POP sound coming from the front right.

I asked online and nobody seems to have any idea. It wasn't a power shift or anything, just a hard shift at 5k.

·
Banned
3,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I experienced that once. It was on hard acceleration and a hard shift from 1st to 2nd. Heard a POP sound coming from the front right.

I asked online and nobody seems to have any idea. It wasn't a power shift or anything, just a hard shift at 5k.
So weird...I wasn't power shifting either. Maybe it was just a backfire from the abrupt closing of the throttle while the cams were still advanced. My car doesn't feel ANY different. And if we lost a cylinder, you would think you'd feel it or see damage, huh?

·
Registered
1 Posts
My '07 GT500 has done this twice. It's so loud you'd think something important broke but I've never found the source after taking the wheels off twice.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I heard the same noise on a hard shift from 2nd to 3rd. It scared the hell out of me, but I could never find anything wrong and has been running/shifting just fine.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
My guess is that you would have seen a flame. My friend's ol Cobra puts one out like that once in a while with a similar noise.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
355 Posts
Maybe just kicked up a rock that banged the floor pan somewhere?
Doubt it - my car jolted so hard on that 2-->3 shift that my glove box flew open. Obviously a very bad shift on my part...

·
Banned
3,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I heard the same noise on a hard shift from 2nd to 3rd. It scared the hell out of me, but I could never find anything wrong and has been running/shifting just fine.
Wow, I'm amazed this thread resurfaced. :) But Yeah, same here still. I can't find a THING wrong...

·
Banned
3,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My guess is that you would have seen a flame. My friend's ol Cobra puts one out like that once in a while with a similar noise.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

I wasn't paying attention to the back, I was looking in the direction my car was moving. :winks

·
Registered
355 Posts

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Hey guys, probably just paranoia but I heard a loud popping noise from what seemed to be coming from the front half of my car when right during a hard shift from 1 - 2 under hard accleration. It literally sounded like taking a pin to an inflated balloon (just loud enough that you could hear it over the car :shigrin). Anyone ever hear this before? Bone stock car. The car seems to be fine when checking it over. No tire problems, no brake problems, checked under the hood, seems fine but thought I'd get some opinions. Hell, I could have ran over something but I was in the middle of no where.
This reminds me of, "back in the day," when catalytic converters were becoming widespread, as young hot-rods, we would call a similar loud noise a "CAT FART." Not sure if the CAT really had anything to do with it back then. When you mentioned "taking a pin to an inflated balloon" it brought back memories of the 70's. Back then we would also get that distinct CAT smell. This probably has nothing to do with what you are describing, and I don't even know why I typed it...:yelwacko:

F

·
0 Posts
Wow, I'm amazed this thread resurfaced. :) But Yeah, same here still. I can't find a THING wrong...
Hey guys,

Have you contacted your Ford dealers about this? I’d like to escalate this for you to get it resolved. Could you message me with your mileage, dealer, VIN, and contact info?

Deysha

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.