Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm going to order a heartthrob h-pipe or x-pipe, but I'm not sure which one. What do you guys recommend. I'm just looking for a louder sound and the best power increase. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
18 Posts
From what I have read the x-pipe will give better HP on top end because of less back pressure. The h-pipe will boost low end a bit. I could be wrong. I would all most thing on the new GT that a x-pipe would work really well. This is just my thinking.
mlt2

·
Registered
150 Posts
x pipe all the way. More of a raspy sound. I've heard that H pipe is more of like an old school muscle car sound. I'd go x if you want that race car sound and the most power

·
Registered
119 Posts
Heartthrob web site says they got more HP with H pipe

·
Registered
150 Posts
never heard of that hahaha but all dealer numbers are skewed. if so the difference would not be more than 1-2 hp at MAX. i'd pick based on sound. maybe find someone you know who has them or check out some youtube clips.

G

·
0 Posts
There are some serious broken records on this debate.

Listen to some sound clips, pick the one you think sounds the best. Apples to apples there is no appreciable difference in the real world X vs H because anything after the cats in the stock exhaust system does hardly anything for power.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I would skip heartthrob, their quality is absolute ****.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have the HT cat to axle with H pipe and GT500 mufflers. It does have that old school muscle car sound. I cant stand "raspy" which is why I went with the H over the X pipe. I did have some fitment issues where it connects to the factory cats but it was easily remedied. I would hardly say the quality is ****. Its very inexpensive for what you get and a exhaust shop would certainly charge you much more to build the same thing from scratch.

·
Registered
737 Posts
^+1

Couldn't have said it better myself. My fitment issues were an easy fix once I brought myself to actually do it. Now I wouldn't change a thing about how my car sounds. :bounce2:

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm a newbie when it comes to this. It sounds like Grimace427 is saying an X or H pipe is not going to gain much hp since it's after the cats. How do you get any gains from the X or H, do you install high flow cats?

G

·
0 Posts
I'm a newbie when it comes to this. It sounds like Grimace427 is saying an X or H pipe is not going to gain much hp since it's after the cats. How do you get any gains from the X or H, do you install high flow cats?
I was more referring to not much gain from the catback, and that the difference in the X vs. H pipe is minimal and varies from car to car.

An off-road midpipe that removes the cats will offer a significant gain in power, but it bothers me when people do that for daily drivers as it seems like a waste for 15hp just to drive to work. For a racecar, it would be another piece of the puzzle.

I have the Magnaflow aftercat Xpipe but haven't had the car dynod yet.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for the explanation. Yeah mines a daily driver and in NC we have inspections so I don't know if mine would pass with just the off road mid. I still may get an after cat x pipe like you but I'm not sure yet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts