Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 01 mustang has been overheating and i suspect the problem is a bad heater core since fluid was leaking into my interior compartment. If I were to bypass the heater core and bleed the air out of the coolant system would that prevent overheating as long as a heater core is the only problem?

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
The is most likely another issue if there is overheating.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bypassed the heater core by connecting the two heater hoses and the over heating was still going on so i replaced the thermostat drained the coolant and added some stop leak for the head gasket and block and let the car idle. However it's still overheating. Any ideas on what i could do next guys?

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
I believe he was the one that had coolant on his floors......

Ripping apart 94+ dashboards are a nightmare.......
No leaks here. What I meant was that there is going to be other problems since the heatercore leaking in itself is unlikely to cause overheating issues.

I bypassed the heater core by connecting the two heater hoses and the over heating was still going on so i replaced the thermostat drained the coolant and added some stop leak for the head gasket and block and let the car idle. However it's still overheating. Any ideas on what i could do next guys?
Have you checked to make sure the cooling fan is coming on? Did you bleed out the air in the cooling system? There is a specific fill procedure for the cooling system requiring you to loosen the bleeder to let out the air as it gets hot. Get that stop leak crap out of the cooling system as soon as possible and flush it out well. THere is nothing WORSE for a cooling system than stop leak. THey should call it stop flow since it is more likely to do that than stop any leaks.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The fan turns on when the engine starts to get hot.. i went ahead and bled the air out I never did it before but i just loosened the bolt a little until it stopped hissing. I was thinking of trying a pressure test? and i was also going to try removing the thermostat completely. What do yens think is the best idea for figuring out what the problem is

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So now i've bypassed the heater core, taken out the thermostat, drained the coolant and added all new coolant. And it's still over heating. Theres no smoke coming from my exhaust and the engine isn't steaming or smoking. It takes it's time getting up to normal operating temp. then it holds there for about 5 minutes and then it starts to move again and doesn't stop until its right on where the red starts. any ideas?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Have u checked yur water pump. If u did all that I bet that's where the problem lies. I think u should reconnect hoses back to yur heater core unless
U want to be without heat in winter. let us know how that goes after u check it. Good
Luck!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Have u checked yur water pump. If u did all that I bet that's where the problem lies. I think u should reconnect hoses back to yur heater core unless
U want to be without heat in winter. let us know how that goes after u check it. Good
Luck!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Waterpump maybe, but if you read his first post you'd see he has a leaking heatercore.

I'd do a pressure test to see if it is holding pressure. If it is, you may just need a good chemical flush of the cooling system. If possible temporarily connect a mechanical temperature gauge. Also, connect to the OBDII port and see the temperature reported there.

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
are you sure you have filled up the cooling system the correct way?.... if you don't get all of the air out, it WILL overheat... when did you open the vent? did you do any work that might have reintroduced air into the system AFTER you opened the vent?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I let my car heat up then i went to the pipe located somewhat near the thermostat and there was a silver hex bolt that i loosened until i hear hissing i waited awhile until it cooled and i didn't hear hissing then i re tightened it.

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
before or after you did the heater core bypass

·
Registered
98 Posts
You have to remove the bleeder bolt before you add the coolant.

With the bolt removed add coolant, filling to the top of the radiator, then fill the overflow bottle up to the "cold" level. Now you can close the bleeder bolt. Replace the cap for the overflow. The manual says to completely close the radiator cap. However I close it fully then back it off one notch, do so at your own risk (this allows coolant to flow out while the car is getting hot, but without risking a steam burn removing the radiator cap next). Start and idle the engine until the top radiator hose gets hot, immediately shut the car off. Carefully, with a heavy rag or thick gloves remove the radiator cap, and top off the radiator with coolant. Double-check the level of the overflow bottle as well. Check after driving a few times to make sure the fluid level is correct.

There is a risk of steam burns while doing this, proceed at your own risk.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts