Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
hey guys, I think my heater core just went out. stopped and coolant started dripping out of what I think is an overflow for the heater core and also theres coolant on the carpet inside. that would be the heater core right?

Anyone know how hard this will be to fix and also if this is even the problem?

thanks in advance.

big relief on the price. I thought they were going to be at least $500 but it was only $18.

is there anyway I can just bypass it? Its summer so I don't think It will be that big of a problem if I can even bypass it

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
You can bypass it with summer coming.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok I got the splice but just wondering before I do it if I have to drain the system? if anyone knows?

G

·
no you can go ahead with the bypass

it wouldn't be a bad idea anyway to drain and flush the system....

since it's low from the leaks

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I flushed the system last week and changed the heater hoses so should I still flush it?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok I did it but now my car runs a little hotter and there seems to be more pressure in the system, is this normal? should i be worried about it?

·
Registered
514 Posts
oh coolant on your carpet means a bad heatercore your right. good lucky replacing that . they are such a hassle

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
any one know if its ok that i bypassed it and theres more pressure in the system and its running a little hotter

·
Registered
826 Posts
yes it's ok to bypass it...and it should not be running any hotter than it was be4...if anything it should be running cooler now, that there is not a leak in the system...and you should be holding 16psi pressure...if you cap is not holding it...it could be your cap is bad and that is why it's running a lil hotter now...i have seen that!

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Its running a little hotter and I have a 13 psi cap so maybe its stuck closed or something? its running about 10-15 degrees hotter and theres a lot more pressure in the system. I dont understand why theres more pressure but I want to switch to the 16 psi cap, would that be a bad idea with the added pressure that I'm already getting? I dont know that its actually running hotter because my gauge stays between 130-150 max and I dont understand why. just from opening the hood after just a few minutes of driving it gets pritty hot. any ideas of what could be wrong or what I could do?

·
Registered
797 Posts
If your gauge only says 150 for the temp then either it is broken or you are running to cold. Try another temp gauge to see what temp the engine is really running at. As far as the extra pressure goes does the car puke antifreeze on the ground and fill the overflow after you drive it to full temp and then shut it off.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just replaced the fluid and thermostat the week before last.
the level of coolant is still dropping slowly and I don't know if it just has air pockets in the system or what. I just put in a good 180* thermostat not one of the really cheep ones that could stick. I know my gauge is off and it has been since I got the car, just don't know really what to do, should i get a new sending unit or?

it dosen't leak at all but and sucks the overflow almost completly after stopping. I've been refilling it hoping its just air in the system because I have only drove it maybe 10 minutes since I bypassed the heater core.
Iv I'm having high pressure with the 13 psi cap and its not sticking then what would it solve going to a higher psi cap? I'm by no means trying to say you are wrong I just don't understand? I'm changing the oil this week so I'll check for coolant in the oil. the coolant looks clean for the most part other than really small things that I think are just things that didn't get completly flushed out of the system.

G

·
no i was just tossing ideas out there...

i would replace the sending unit for the temp gauge

are you running water or coolant...

i would flush the system again just to be sure...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Heater cores are not that big of a deal. I just did one 2 weeks ago and it took me about 4 1/2 hours. You DONT need to open the A/C lines or compleatly remove the HVAC box. Just enough to get at the lid for the core. If you were closer to west fargo i would help you out.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts