Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys tonight when was around 30 seconds from my house one of the three rubber insulated hoses going into the firewall held on by hose clamps compltely shreded. I wasn't racin around or anything just a 2 minute drive and it shreaded came up my driveway into the light and saw a huge cloud of steam. The hose I need to replace goes kind of under the intake manifold and it held radiator fluid. Am I going to need to remove the intake manifold to fix this? should I replace all the other hoses? what type of radiator fluid should I run, the green right? Just making sure if I have to take the intake manifold off the gaskets are not reusable right?
Does anyone possibly know the diameter of the hose and if its just regular heater/radiator hose? I cant see enough tonight and I wont have a car tomarrow to go get the hose once I find out but my mom said she would get the hose I needed but I cant tell her what to get until I take it off to find out what diameter it is.

I would really, really appreciate any help on this.
thanks in advance for any input

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
just take off a piece of the old hose to take to the auto parts store. you don't need to take off the manifold or anything, just pit the new hose in. and yes, you want the green radiator fluid diluted 50/50 with water.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok cool, I was kinda scared about the thought of having to rip off the intake manifold. I know not really a big thing but I would have to wait a while to get the gaskets.
It might look different tomarrow when I can actually see it but to me it looked like there wasn't really a way to replace it without removing the manifold. thanks for letting me know that I dont.
do you have any idea what could have caused this?

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
old beat up hose.....what year is your car? Many stores sell pre fit hoses.....if one went, maybe a few more are ready to.

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
You should be able to get the molded hoses, but a little advice... replace them BOTH. If one split, and they're the same age, the other will split too. Then start thinking about replacing the radiator and bypass hoses too, the two on the side of the water pump are those. Hoses split from the inside out, the coolant is what eats the rubber and if they're all the same age, the others are corroded inside too and it's a matter of time before they split too.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I replaced both of the heater hoses and saw how easy it was to do in the morning. now I feel stupid for not seeing where it went in and thinking I had to remove the intake. I checked out all the other hoses and all the other ones had been replaced before I got the car those 2 were the only old and brittle ones. I got the pre molded one for the inlet but the return is a straight hose. I think it should be ok its not kinked or anything just a little flat at one section. should this be ok?
thanks for your replys I was goin crazy last night when it happened lol.

my car is an 89 gt

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
If there's no restriction to the flow, it'll be fine.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
k cool, I just dont want to get stuck somewhere far away from home. this shouldnt have happened in the first place right? I didn't even have the heater on, I dont know if that makes a difference or not.

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
Well there's always flow in those hoses, but if the hose was ready to split, it wouldn't take much to make it go.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.