Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
79' Mustang 5.0 H/O. Recently rebuilt engine with standard fit components. I have AOD cooled with finned cooler only, Air, P/S. new radiator, shroud, 5-blade fan, set 2-inches behind the core, 18#cap (replacing a 16#), 191 degree thermostat, ignition timing set at 14 BTDC., 6 V gauges served by 12/6 V-R diodes.
Temps in Texas are near 100 degrees. The gauge reads at the max position and a fabricated thermometer well in the intake manifold provides me an actual engine temperature of 217 degrees with a remote thermocouple test instrument.
Questions: 1) What is the maximum engine coolant temperature before damage occurs?. 2) How can I improve my power plant to reduce temperatures?.

Timing was at 6 degrees BTDC with no appreciable improvement.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Welcome to the Forum! :)

You mention a new radiator, but how large and how many cores?

Is your fan inside the shroud? I see you list it as being 2 inches from the radiator which is more than normal. Might want to install a spacer to bring the fan closer to the radiator.

Describe your water pump. The reason I ask is that you may have inadvertently bought a reverse flow when you need a regular flow.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the Forum! :)

You mention a new radiator, but how large and how many cores?

Is your fan inside the shroud? I see you list it as being 2 inches from the radiator which is more than normal. Might want to install a spacer to bring the fan closer to the radiator.

Describe your water pump. The reason I ask is that you may have inadvertently bought a reverse flow when you need a regular flow.
The water pump is a new, off the shelf water pump from O'Reillys.

The radiator is a 3-core new from Dallas Mustang.

The fan blade leading edge is inside the fan shroud. My air conditioning career days tell me that it is in the proper position, but maybe it needs to be closer to the core. It will be tough to do but I'm retired and have time to tinker.

What about my question of a max engine temperature before damage occurs.

Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts