Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Just got my new mustang and its my first car. I live in upstate NY and normally the temperature here is in negative. My friends suggested that I should heat up my car in the morning before taking it out. I don't understand the reason for heating the engine. Does anyone know why we should heat up the engine before driving the car? And I also want to know what will be the bad effects on the car engine if I don't heat it before taking it out?

·
Registered
748 Posts
Idling=Bad

Idling is not an effective way to warm an internal combustion engine... give it 30 seconds to pump the oil, then drive. It'll warm a LOT faster under a load.

Idling wastes gas (duh!)

Idling pollutes. Your rings aren't seating fully on a cold engine, increasing the amount unburned fuel blown past the pistons and eventually into the atmosphere... and your cats aren't effective until they're heated.

Your owners manual advises against extended idling.
The EPA advises against extended idling.

If you want to have some fun, Google it. You'll find 2 camps debating this issue;

1) Scientists, engineers and auto manufactures vs

2) My dad (uncle, best buddy, I heard it from a friend of a friend of a friend)

Group #1 says "If it's really cold, buy a block heater. Don't idle to warm your engine"

Group #2 says "Idle for 5 or 10 minutes, then drive away".

Who do you trust?
:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Idling=Bad

Idling is not an effective way to warm an internal combustion engine... give it 30 seconds to pump the oil, then drive. It'll warm a LOT faster under a load.

Idling wastes gas (duh!)

Idling pollutes. Your rings aren't seating fully on a cold engine, increasing the amount unburned fuel blown past the pistons and eventually into the atmosphere... and your cats aren't effective until they're heated.

Your owners manual advises against extended idling.
The EPA advises against extended idling.

If you want to have some fun, Google it. You'll find 2 camps debating this issue;

1) Scientists, engineers and auto manufactures vs

2) My dad (uncle, best buddy, I heard it from a friend of a friend of a friend)

Group #1 says "If it's really cold, buy a block heater. Don't idle to warm your engine"

Group #2 says "Idle for 5 or 10 minutes, then drive away".

Who do you trust?
:bigthumbsup

Exactly thats what I thought. I'm with Group # 1. I know that it takes much longer too heat the car while idling but if you just drive off then the engine get warmer much faster.

But one reason I see for idling to warm up the engine is that if we drive off then it takes much more gas(as there will be a lot of unburnt gas) to accelerate the car. So I believe that people say its good to idle for 5 to 10 minutes in morning so that it will produce less unburnt gas while accelerating.

So my conclusion is when the engine is cold we should not accelerate it to higher rpms. What do you say?

I'm planning to call Ford to get an explanation. Lets see what they say.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
On cold mornings or nights i always let mine sit for like 2-3 minutes. I just dont like to crank it up and just take off when its cold, i dunno why. But sitting for 5-10 mintues would def be a waste of gas and it still wont be that warm versus 10 minutes of driving.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I searched on google and got my answer

check this link
No Need to Idle in Winter - Raise the Hammer

No winter idling is required. The car heats up really fast if you just drive it off. only 30 second of idling is required when u start the car. the 30 second of idling will help getting everything moving and lubricated.

This seems logical to me.

Regards,
Hardik

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.