Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have been restoring my 65 mustang coupe that has a 200 6 cylinder engine in it, and i have encountered a charging problem. the battery will charge sometimes and then it will stop. if i fool with the voltage regulator it will start charging, but only returns the previous problem very quickly. i'm thinking of going with a mr. amp 130 amp one-wire alternator since i'll be installing a decent sound system in the near future. is this a good idea?

·
Registered
41,825 Posts
Welcome lets see if we can get you an answer in this section.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Sounds like your voltage regulator is sticking :headscratch:. Since it will charge when you fool with the voltage regulator clean all of the contacts in it or get a new one.

·
Registered
394 Posts
i would go with a 1 wire alternator i was able to get an alternator off of a chevy that was almost identical to the ford one but it was a 1 wire alt and i went thru 3 ford alternators and 2 regulators bc none of them would charge the battery but the gm one does good now. i'd go with that 1 wire alt if u don't like putting a almost identical gm part.

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Hello.:) Everyone has their own opinions about how the best way to proceed might be, but mine would be that you don't need a GM alternator in your Ford car. My car has a Ford alternator in it and the battery charges just fine.:) Your problem isn't your alternator, anyway. It's either the voltage regulator, which is cheap and easy to replace, or the connector that plugs into the side of it has some issues. Unplug the connector from the side of the regulator and look at it. If it's all corroded and funky-looking, there's your problem. :gringreen If it looks ok and the wiring isn't all hacked up, replace the regulator. :)

·
Registered
126 Posts
yeah, doesnt sound like ur alternator, i had this same prob w/ mine, and what i do is just tap on the voltage reg a couple times, that usually works, if not, just replace the thing, i got mine for like 12 bucks. And as for the system your gunna put in it, you dont need to upgrade your alternator, if you are worried about power, hook up a Capacitor when ur installing your amp, that helps alot with power issues : i.e. dimming lights, hard starts, ect.... hope that helps

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.