Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to say hey. I have started my first project (87 GT Hatchback) and I think I’m going to need allot of help. I look forward to contributing in the future but for now I’m going to play Sponge Bob and suck up all the knowledge I can.:worship

Thanks

·
Registered
861 Posts
I know I will always need help!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Help

I may be of a bit of help if you are talking about a paint and body project. Not too up to speed on tech/ performance issues. Fire away with the spongebob questions.:smoke:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Help

Guess there's a bit of a lag time posting

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here are the pics. I got this car from my mother in-law, and yes it does have 43,469 miles on it.
Here is the link to my first post about the car and what I WANTED to do. Since that post the wife has given me till the end of March to get it done. I have a $3000 parts budget and a $2500 paint and body budget. Let me know what you guys think.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50976

http://marling.home.insightbb.com/images/DSC00139.JPG
http://marling.home.insightbb.com/images/DSC00138.JPG
http://marling.home.insightbb.com/images/DSC00140.JPG
http://marling.home.insightbb.com/images/DSC00141.JPG
http://marling.home.insightbb.com/images/DSC00144.JPG
http://marling.home.insightbb.com/images/DSC00145.JPG

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
kd5edj this project will involve some body work. I am looking to get the car painted the same dark blue metallic and titanium just with a little more flake. I would like to get a cobra front and rear fascia but I want to keep the GT side skirts. Can that be done?

G

·
IGOTA50 said:
I would like to get a cobra front and rear fascia but I want to keep the GT side skirts. Can that be done?
Of course you can, it'll be nice when you restore it. What's your budget on her?

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
I like, I like...
Yeah, you can just cut the grill panel off your bumper cover, and install the Cobra grill insert.You can by the Cobra rear bumper - but I'm not sure if it comes with its own side skirts, or if the GT ones will work...
If you're gonna do suspension/brake mods, I probably wouldn't bother replacing any of the stock stuff, outside of, maybe front pads. You should just get the good stuff up front, to avoid having to do stuff twice.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a $3000 parts budget and a $2500 paint and body budget. That money can be redistributed if needed. There is just so many manufactures to chose from and so many parts. I’m kind of lost right now. Here is my laundry list of thing I want to do:

Front suspension:

K-member (road track)

Lower A-arms

Coil over’s (road track)

Kick A$$ brakes up front (I want to move to 5lug all around)

Camber kit

Bump steer kit

Chassis stiffening:

Torque box plates

Sub-frame connectors

Trany cross member

Rear suspension:

This is where I am really lost. I was thinking coil over but I have read it messes with tire clearance. I cant seem to find anything for a road track set up. Do you guys have any ideas?

Disk brake conversion plus 5lug

More kick a$$ brakes for the rear

Electrical:

Convert to MAF (I have seen the ford racing kit but is there a cheaper way to do this)

Misc. parts:

4 row aluminum Radiator

Short headers

x pipe

Smog pump delete

Electric water pump

Electric radiator fan

Misc. vacuum hoses

Silicone radiator hoses

Under drive pulleys

Body:

Front head lights and fog lights

Cobra Front and rear fascia

Weather stripping all around

Paint

·
Registered
20 Posts
IGOTA50 said:
I have a $3000 parts budget and a $2500 paint and body budget. That money can be redistributed if needed. There is just so many manufactures to chose from and so many parts. I’m kind of lost right now. Here is my laundry list of thing I want to do:

Front suspension:

K-member (road track)

Lower A-arms

Coil over’s (road track)

Kick A$$ brakes up front (I want to move to 5lug all around)

Camber kit

Bump steer kit

Chassis stiffening:

Torque box plates

Sub-frame connectors

Trany cross member

Rear suspension:

This is where I am really lost. I was thinking coil over but I have read it messes with tire clearance. I cant seem to find anything for a road track set up. Do you guys have any ideas?

Disk brake conversion plus 5lug

More kick a$$ brakes for the rear

Electrical:

Convert to MAF (I have seen the ford racing kit but is there a cheaper way to do this)

Misc. parts:

4 row aluminum Radiator

Short headers

x pipe

Smog pump delete

Electric water pump

Electric radiator fan

Misc. vacuum hoses

Silicone radiator hoses

Under drive pulleys

Body:

Front head lights and fog lights

Cobra Front and rear fascia

Weather stripping all around

Paint
I don't think you will get all that stuff done on your budget. Wish I could give you my rear cobra cover. hate to see it just sit there.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
IGOTA50 said:
so in your opinion what would be the best things to do with the 3k?
Mac makes a mass air kit, now.
If you're not looking for insane HP and torque, the ultimate setup would be a Cobra IRS. Although, unless you really dig, or get really lucky, you will probably break the bank on that one. But you could definitely do the standard SN95 brake swap. I'd say if you get lucky on ebay, and do all of the work yourself, that you could do most of what you want to do.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Damn.. that thing is soo bone stock it still has the Air Silencer and the Rubber Distruber Boot Cover.

Amazing that you can still find beauty's like this one, out there.

You'll have fun with this one, but it will take you a couple of years to finally realize your dream.

As far as suggestions? Well, that depends.

Do you prefer her to look good when you drive it... or do you want to be fast and look like a FrankenStang?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This sounds like its going to be a money pit by the way you talk Young Buck. I would like both to answer your question. Like I said in my previous post; I have a limited amount of time to get her looking good and safe on the road. I also have until mid March to complete the project. After that I have agreed with the wife to sell it.

So......I have a total of $5500 for parts and body work and I am doing all the work my self minus the body work. What would be the best way to spend the money and accomplish my goals?

I have wanted a Fox Mustang since I was in middle school. I would hate to give up this car because the wife wants more space in the garage.

:worship

G

·
It's not really a bad thing that it's a money pit, just once you get started it never ends. If you plan on selling it no matter what by March then why are you going to bother modding it? I think you should take your 5500 get it painted and roadworthy (brakes, tune up, etc..) and then start upgrading it if you aren't going to sell it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.