Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am hoping to break through 14 secs as soon as this rain stops and will need a helmet... No clue on size, I know you and my wife think I have a big head but...??

Safety rating? Snell-2000, SA-00...??

See that most have a full face one with no visor...??

·
Registered
829 Posts
kj_cinci said:
Am hoping to break through 14 secs as soon as this rain stops and will need a helmet... No clue on size, I know you and my wife think I have a big head but...??

Safety rating? Snell-2000, SA-00...??

See that most have a full face one with no visor...??
Geez, ya think you have a big head! I had to get an XL Shoei for my bike.... I get shite for it sometimes from my friends.... (they were with when bought)

There are sizing charts on the Helmet websites, and they are a bit different with the Manufactures. Gosh I got a rulebook here somewhere with the requirements, I picked it up at the track.... I am gunna hit some Gin/Tonic and try my hand at mixing a few Tom Collins right now so I know I CAN NOT help the board anymore tonight! From the looks of a few threads... You might want to stay up late here! and ugh... I might get post happy later! Rustang !

·
Registered
70 Posts
I like my Bell M2 full face w/ Snell-2000 rating, designed to be worn with shades. For proper fit make sure the top of your head touches the top of the helmet inside. Also while strapped to your head try to rip it off by grabbing the chin and pulling up and over your head to make sure it will stay on when you need it to. Next grab the back edge and try to rip it off that way. Try on several before you buy.

www.subesports.com

http://www.subesports.com/products/cat/Helmets/brand/Bell/prodID/168

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay... per the size chart I need an L... will try some on here one day...

Now for the safety rating; Snell SA2000/SFI 31.2A or Snell M2000/SFI 41.2A? And then we have the Snell SA2005 and M2005 which I guess is just a new rating for year 2005 and compairs to the 2000 ratings...?

I guess the SA2000/31.2A is a higher rating (from price) but when do I need this higher rating?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Wow, those things are expensive huh.

·
Registered
886 Posts
kj- you need that rating when the tires are above the roof. Other than that, I'm not real sure:laughlitt

Finding an affordable helmet is one thing that's kept me off the track, but if you think about the purpose they serve, the money matters less. But it still doesn't mean I can afford it!

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just drive +14s and you won't need a helmet... :winks we have plenty guys 'using' the 1/8 time and roll the 2nd half not to break into the low 11's and need a cage plus other protection...

I'm getting a $130 M2005 helmet... cheapest I could find but safe and light weight... M is for Motorcykle (I think?) but is good at most tracks and race classes...

·
Registered
131 Posts
Bought my helmet at the local motorcycle shop for just over $65.00. It is a basic white open face helmet that meets the DOT and SNELL rating for the drag strip I race on (NHRA rules). The tech inspector had no issues with the helmet when he checked it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
M is for motorcycle. When I run the SVTOA/NASA track events they say no M helmets. The strip I run at also checks for ratings. Something having to do with a motorcycle helmet being designed to scrape the pavement while a Snell rating has to do with impacts. If you have a $10 head buy a $10 helmet. That mushy thing between your ears is pretty important, don't you think?
IMPACT:sterb: OUCH!!! :happyhapp VEGETABLE :sadcry:

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LOL, true! On my bike I always had the best of the best... it just feels weird to spend money on it in a car...?? :dunce:

I'm sure I'll be safe with the car around me and an aproved helmet...!! Especially limping home at just over 100 MPH...

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
vynle said:
hell if you crash at over 100 miles an hour your head injuries will be the least of your worries!
Probably true... I'm all for safety (it's a big part of my job) but again, it's hard to justify I very good and expencive helmet for use once a week in a very enclosed car... If I still had a bike I would allready have had a great helmet as it's easy to justify it there...

·
Registered
131 Posts
GR40Snake said:
M is for motorcycle. When I run the SVTOA/NASA track events they say no M helmets. The strip I run at also checks for ratings. Something having to do with a motorcycle helmet being designed to scrape the pavement while a Snell rating has to do with impacts. If you have a $10 head buy a $10 helmet. That mushy thing between your ears is pretty important, don't you think?
IMPACT:sterb: OUCH!!! :happyhapp VEGETABLE :sadcry:
The helmet I bought is snell rated and has a tag on the inside stating it is. If I was running the car in race events every weekend or if I was riding a motorcycle I would then invest some money into a helmet. Once a month street racing does not require a $300.00 helmet as long as the one I use meets the tracks specs.

·
Registered
70 Posts
If it has the current rating, Snell-2000, then your good regardless of price, I assume? Snell-2005 will be current sometime in the fall of this year. This does not mean that a Snell-2000 becomes obsolete, just not the most current rating. Side note: Michael Schumacher's helmets cost $50,000+:eyebulge: and I think he's got 8-10 of them, just in case.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts