Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I have been having a lot of trouble getting my 67 coupe started lately. I ordered a new Edelbrorck 1901 AVS2 500 cfm carb and installed it, the car ran great and no issues at all!

Due to circumstances, the car was parked after that for 2 to 3 months. Now, when I came to start the car again, there was a transmission leak, which I fixed and replaced everything. The car would crank but would not start.

Suddenly the car turned over and started but was rough and not idling properly, I managed to drive a short distance and then it would not start unless I have my foot on the gas pedal, as soon as I lift my foot off it would just die.

I checked the power supply and everything seemed to check out. I replaced the Spark Plugs, MSD Coil, Rotor and Cap on MSD Ready to Run Distributor, Checked the Spark Wires, Cleaned the Carb and there was not gunk in the bowls, Replaced the Starter Solenoid with a brand new one, and STILL NO GO!

Every time I try to start the car it would crank and turn on as long as I have my foot on the gas pedal, BUT AS SOON AS I TAKE MY FOOT OFF, IT DIES OUT! What is going on here? Can anyone help, I have been trying to figure this out for a long time now.

·
Registered
2015 Ruby Red GT, 1966 Silver Blue Coupe
614 Posts
Doesn't sound like a spark issue...more likely the choke. Have you checked the idle and choke?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Doesn't sound like a spark issue...more likely the choke. Have you checked the idle and choke?
I agree. The choke seems not to work properly, so I ordered a replacement choke and will adjust it as soon as I receive it. I will also adjust the idle. So the idle might be too low? How is that adjusted without using a tachometer but vacuum gauge?

·
Registered
545 Posts
I agree. The choke seems not to work properly, so I ordered a replacement choke and will adjust it as soon as I receive it. I will also adjust the idle. So the idle might be too low? How is that adjusted without using a tachometer but vacuum gauge?
I think Ricky might be onto something, check for cracked hoses. A vacuum leak will make an engine run like a turd. Car is cranking so fuel is getting to the carb. I dont think the electric choke got anything to do with this. I've own my AVS2 650 cfm for close to a year now and this line of carbs with annular boosters are great. To make it idle faster turn the idling screw clockwise, it's simple. The vacuum gauge is great to play with the mixture screws but since you haven't touched any of these before is hard to say if your problem lies there. I would check for vaccum leaks before anything.

J

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just did this exact swap on my 66. I had a Holley manual choke and updated to an Edelbrock 650 AVS2 w/electric choke. I pulled power from starter solenoid. I found out that although I was getting 12v initially, when I tried to use accelerator the voltage would drop. I had to end up tapping into a 12v constant. Fixed the problem immediately. In the process of trouble shooting this though, I did make sure all the ports had new vacuum block offs or new vacuum hoses as I thought it was a leak originally.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think Ricky might be onto something, check for cracked hoses. A vacuum leak will make an engine run like a turd. Car is cranking so fuel is getting to the carb. I dont think the electric choke got anything to do with this. I've own my AVS2 650 cfm for close to a year now and this line of carbs with annular boosters are great. To make it idle faster turn the idling screw clockwise, it's simple. The vacuum gauge is great to play with the mixture screws but since you haven't touched any of these before is hard to say if your problem lies there. I would check for vaccum leaks before anything.

J
So I found the problem! After going through everything and cleaning the carb, adjusting the floats, cleaning the mixture screws and adjusting them, I increased the idle screw and realized that the Annular Boosters were barely spitting fuel or rather dumping fuel than spraying it. The engine was not getting enough fuel and that was the reason!

it’s a brand new carb but maybe there is som gunk that clogged them up. What is the best way I can clean those boosters??

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just did this exact swap on my 66. I had a Holley manual choke and updated to an Edelbrock 650 AVS2 w/electric choke. I pulled power from starter solenoid. I found out that although I was getting 12v initially, when I tried to use accelerator the voltage would drop. I had to end up tapping into a 12v constant. Fixed the problem immediately. In the process of trouble shooting this though, I did make sure all the ports had new vacuum block offs or new vacuum hoses as I thought it was a leak originally.

So I found the problem! After going through everything and cleaning the carb, adjusting the floats, cleaning the mixture screws and adjusting them, I increased the idle screw and realized that the Annular Boosters were barely spitting fuel or rather dumping fuel than spraying it. The engine was not getting enough fuel and that was the reason!

it’s a brand new carb but maybe there is som gunk that clogged them up. What is the best way I can clean those boosters??

·
Registered
102 Posts
Take the carb apart to get access to the ports for them and blow them out with either compressed air or a brake/carb cleaner with the long red plastic nozzle hose. Sometimes, new carbs, it's best to tear them apart and clean all the machining, garbage left inside them.

·
Registered
545 Posts

I've never had any gunk issues with mine although i'm meticulous about cranking my engine every saturday even when i don't take it out for a drive. Perhaps after sitting for all those months it got clogged up but its a pretty new carb as well.. check out the video and tell us if yours is not even close to what you see
as for carb cleaner i'm not really picky but i've used the one from the Gunk brand before and it works just fine.

J

1 - 11 of 11 Posts