Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so I have a 1991 Ford Mustang 5.0L and it has not been used in about 5 years or so. I was able to buy the fuel pump it needed to work but im afraid to use it since I heard that it needed some special liquid added to clean all of the oil that is stuck along the pipes before accelerating and whatnot. Can anyone tell me if there is any truth to this and if there is anyting else I should be aware of before I put it into everyday and some race driving?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I'm not exactly sure what you're talking about. But this is what I can tell you:

1. Change all of the fluids. I mean all of them.
2. Replace plugs, wires, fuel filter(should have changed it while doing the fuel pump), cap and rotor.
3. Drain the fuel tank and put fresh gas inside. Run a can of sea foam in it. See can for directions.
4. When changing the oil use a can of sea foam in it. Use the directions on the can and replace the oil after the perscribed mileage.
5. Clean MAF and IAC. Most people use carb cleaner. I personally use maf cleaner on the maf. Don't think there is much difference. Be careful when cleaning the MAF not to damage the wires inside. Use a q-tip and be gentle.
6. Check your tires for flat spots. Replace as necessary.
7. If all is well after this... enjoy the car! If not, come back to us and tell us whats going on.

Some of the things in the above list may be good but it never hurts to do a full tune-up after such a long time sitting.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts