Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, help 91 notchback with idle/die problems. okay i have a 91 notchback. The motor was rebuilt in jan 08. On cold starts it turns up nice strong sounds good but then all of a suddle it wants to turn off and on(idle). I'll let the car worm up for a few, when i start to drive the car sounds like it wants to die out on me i usally have to hold the break and give it gas for like 2-3 blocks till it stops doing that. But when i stop it will start to idle and tries to go with me holding the breaks as if i was giving it gas. After I drive the car for about 5 minutes i have no problem. When i got the car from the shop it started doing this problem so i took it back and they said it was a bad injec they replaced it n charged me 200.00 the problem looked like it stopped but continued shortly right after. Cars been the same ever since. I dont want to take it back to the shop because i feel the shop is not telling me the truth. Another thing the car has is I can hear a nocking noice coming out of the vaulve covers i asked another mustang lover and he said it was normal that his mustang does it even louder. I feel that the car is not runing to its potential specially for having a rebuilt motor. ( do you guys think i need to rebuilt my tranny it's pretty old (i've always manually shifted AOD) PLease HELP me.

Mods are x-pipe mufflers no cat, 65mm t-body, k&n filter, and pullies. Runing Syn Val motor oil 10/30, autolite 25 gap at 45. timing i think its at 14.

·
Super Moderator
40,073 Posts
Welcome to the site!!!!

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
If you've always manually shifted the AOD, and it doesn't have a manual valvebody, you'll need to have that redone very soon. It's not meant to do the 1-3-1- shuffle and that dumps line pressure, burning up the bands.

The idle problem is most of the time the IAC in need of cleaning. A $4 can of cleaner and about 10 minute could possibly solve it.

The noise is hard to determine from a post, what's it sound like?

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Your idle problem could very well be an injector if soon after it started again its probably the next one in line. If you did not replace all that was a mistake. They are cheap and can very easily be changed (10 small bolts). For two hundred bucks they should have changed all, if they did and your still having problems take it back. But come back here before anymore drastic moves!If they didnt then yeh there trying to rip you off. You pretty much have to take them all out to replace one!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.