Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of months ago, my 1995 Mustang GT began having problems. Sometimes it would start right up, and other times it would crank but not start. After leaving it sit, it would start. This began happening more often. I have replaced the cap and rotor, ignition module, ignition coil, and the ignition switch. Sometimes when the key is in the ignition, and the door is open the car will ding to indicate the door is open, then the dinging stops. PLEASE HELP! Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your prompt reply.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had close to the same problem with my 94. I had the distributer gear lose a tooth. When that happen I could get the car to run very very poorly while cold and not at all when it began to warm up. I don't think it is common for a tooth to break off, but it does happen. If you didn't replace that with the rest of the ignition stuff, but it may be worth looking into. I hope that helps.

·
Registered
343 Posts
A couple of months ago, my 1995 Mustang GT began having problems. Sometimes it would start right up, and other times it would crank but not start. After leaving it sit, it would start. This began happening more often. I have replaced the cap and rotor, ignition module, ignition coil, and the ignition switch. Sometimes when the key is in the ignition, and the door is open the car will ding to indicate the door is open, then the dinging stops. PLEASE HELP! Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your prompt reply.
is it turning over or not. if its not the ignition, you might check and if the problem is in the fuel line. chek and see if the car itself is getting fuel. if not it might be a fuel pump, fuel sensor, or fuel relay. my dads car would have a similar problem; if he had the car running, and turned it off, but then quickly (less than 10 minutes) started the car again, it wouldnt start. the cap and rotor were replaced and they also rplaced (i think) the fuel sensor... anyway, it works fine now, and ther hasnt been any trouble since. so my advice would be to take a look at those fuel components. good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I turn the key to the on position, the fuel pump kicks on. The ignition switch was changed, but could the key tumbler be the problem?

·
Registered
343 Posts
When I turn the key to the on position, the fuel pump kicks on. The ignition switch was changed, but could the key tumbler be the problem?
possibly... isnt that what basically (and im being kinda vague here) senses that the key is actually in the ignition? the part that allows the key to turn, right?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
possibly... isnt that what basically (and im being kinda vague here) senses that the key is actually in the ignition? the part that allows the key to turn, right?
Right. And when the car won't start, I've noticed the car will ding a couple of times then quit, which leads me to believe the ignition switch (tumbler the key goes into) may be the problem.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Right. And when the car won't start, I've noticed the car will ding a couple of times then quit, which leads me to believe the ignition switch (tumbler the key goes into) may be the problem.
yea. maybe check the wiring? or maybe it just needs cleaned up...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.