Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay so i did a rear brake job on my 04 stang about a month ago. I replaced the rotors and pads(pads were organic). ever since then i had a "squeal". it ticks me off and ive tried everything i can think of to fix it. I lubed and replaced the slide pins, upgraded to ceramic pads, even lubed where the pads fit in the caliper bracket. nothing. nothing at alllll has helped. please gimmie some good advice here, cuz this squeal is freakin p!ss'n me off. lol Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
142 Posts
may be a dumb question, but did you rotate the pistons on the calipers back before you put it back together? The first time I tried doing my brakes I didn't do so and I struggled to force the calipers back on the rotors and I had a squealing sound for a few weeks. Other than that, because I'm no expert, I'd take the rear brakes and calipers off, check the rotors for unnatural marks (or rubs, possibly even have them rotated if nothing works), and do the job over again.

I wish I could be more help

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i bought a caliper piston reset tool from summit racing for 60 bucks, and yes i rotated it back in. these ceramic pads dont seem to be squealing as much, but its still annoying because it comes and goes.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
I have the same problem on my 2003 GT, my right rear disc break squeals. Before I bought it I took it to a Ford dealership to have a mechanic look over it and he said there were some rust on the disc breaks and he recommended to have them rotated. At the time I had no money to do that, and now about two weeks later it is still present. Anyways, the mechanic told me that it should go away after a few weeks so I will just give it some more time. I don't know if this has anything to do with your problem, but it could be worth checking out. Rust on the disc breaks can develop after only a day or two of not being in use sometimes. Just my two cents :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
whatcha mean break in routine? after putting em on, i pumped the brakes several times, then i did several long slow stops (20-25mph), then two or three 45-50mph stops. what was your "break in" ?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts