Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:headscratch:
Since November, my 2006 4.0's battery has had to been jumped 4 times. When the car does start (Wether being jumped or on its own), it takes a second to start, and once it finally does ingite, a nice loud whistling sound goes for about 3 seconds. I am afraid that the alternator is dying, hopefully it's just the battery.

My Gas guage also does not work properly. I filled up, and the gauge read 3/4 full. I set the odometer, and about every 60 miles is a 1/4 tank. after driving 35 miles, the gauge read 1/4 full. About every week after one start the gauge will not work at all.

3/4 times the car's been jumped since november, I haven't left lights on, my radar detector plugged in, or the stereo running. I've filled the battery up with distilled water 2 weeks ago, and it helped for about a week.

Anyone recognize these symptoms? and if I need a new battery, alternator, or both, what is the battery or alternator that will keep power in my car? I hate OEM electrics.

Thanks!
-TGM

·
Banned
9,216 Posts
may be time for a new battery!

welcome to the pages!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That what I think. Should I get the Optima red or yellow? or is that overkill? and whose got it for less than an arm and a leg?

·
Banned
9,216 Posts
im a firm beiver of duralast. they are good ones!

mine in my truck is 5 years

i think alot of bats are overcharged, like the optimas

·
Registered
13,191 Posts
Personally I think the optima is overkill. I have had the original battery in for over 4 years now with no problems, although others have not had that much luck. Get a Sears DieHard.
As far as the fuel gauge, it may just be the gas. It has happened to me a couple times before and has been blamed on high sulphur fuel.
Try switching stations.

·
Banned
9,216 Posts
still tooo much for my taste, i think 70 is my lmit

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That makes sense about the gauge. I have been going to the same station for about 4 months, a Chevron (I use 87 octane). I got a new job, and it is on my way. Before that, I went to a Chevron less than 2 miles away to my former workplace, and had no problems. could it be that it is that one station?

·
Banned
9,216 Posts
basic duralast

craftsman makes a good one too

but i tell ya hands down best battery ive EVER HAD lasted 10 years then it froze over and burst. was a AC delco Premium ( 99.99 each )

·
Banned
9,216 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
:headscratch:
Since November, my 2006 4.0's battery has had to been jumped 4 times. When the car does start (Wether being jumped or on its own), it takes a second to start, and once it finally does ingite, a nice loud whistling sound goes for about 3 seconds. I am afraid that the alternator is dying, hopefully it's just the battery.

My Gas guage also does not work properly. I filled up, and the gauge read 3/4 full. I set the odometer, and about every 60 miles is a 1/4 tank. after driving 35 miles, the gauge read 1/4 full. About every week after one start the gauge will not work at all.

3/4 times the car's been jumped since november, I haven't left lights on, my radar detector plugged in, or the stereo running. I've filled the battery up with distilled water 2 weeks ago, and it helped for about a week.

Anyone recognize these symptoms? and if I need a new battery, alternator, or both, what is the battery or alternator that will keep power in my car? I hate OEM electrics.

Thanks!
-TGM
You need a new battery. You filled your old one with water?? Batteries these days are non servicable, you should not be removing the caps on the tops of it.

·
Registered
13,191 Posts
That makes sense about the gauge. I have been going to the same station for about 4 months, a Chevron (I use 87 octane). I got a new job, and it is on my way. Before that, I went to a Chevron less than 2 miles away to my former workplace, and had no problems. could it be that it is that one station?
Could be, Is it a national brand?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's a national brand gas that fills it. I got a chevron card (family somehow gets discounts?), and thats why I'm loyal. But no one else that I have talked to has these problems. My tach, engine temp and speedo all work fine.
It also happens when I do a perfect launch off a stoplight, or a quick fishtail, the gauge goes to zero and takes about 3 hours to go back to reading something.
I drove it nice for this week, and I fill up tonight and the gauge read 2/3 again. for 24.7 miles, the gauge decreased to read less than an 1/8th of a tank and the gas light came on. :sadcry

·
Registered
766 Posts
I've experienced fluctuating gas gauge issues before, certain moves just cause that. I hadn't had issues for 2 years, than one day a few weeks ago I took a turn really hard, then my tank read 14 miles to empty when I had just looked at it a minute ago and it had read 60 miles to empty.

On the battery issue, you need one before you destroy your alternator! I recommend the Interstate brand. The mega-tron and mega-tron plus are great! The Mega-tron plus has an 85 month warranty.

·
Registered
613 Posts
It's a national brand gas that fills it. I got a chevron card (family somehow gets discounts?), and thats why I'm loyal. But no one else that I have talked to has these problems. My tach, engine temp and speedo all work fine.
It also happens when I do a perfect launch off a stoplight, or a quick fishtail, the gauge goes to zero and takes about 3 hours to go back to reading something.
I drove it nice for this week, and I fill up tonight and the gauge read 2/3 again. for 24.7 miles, the gauge decreased to read less than an 1/8th of a tank and the gas light came on. :sadcry
Your fuel level sensor is probably bad in the fuel module.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm buyin a battery tomorrow morning. Which brand should I get?

Duralast?
Duralast Gold?
AC Delco?
Interstate Megatron?

I know I can get any of these in town.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
i dont go to gas stations that arent owned by americans. a few foriegn folks around my part of the woods got caught fillin their underground tanks with water and caused a lot of problems for people so....dont mean to be predjudice but it happened

·
Registered
766 Posts
So which battery did ya go with?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.