Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, after working at the fast food joint with a big star I was finally able to get something fun to drive and work on. I love my little 2.3, its fun to drive and it just makes me happy. It does have its issues though. 3rd gear is its happy spot. 1st and 2nd.....not so much. They like to stick which limits the acceleration and it doesn't sound happy at ALL when it happens(its an auto trans). And the other big problem I'd like to put down is fuel delivery. When pedal all the down or just casually pressing it down it will sound likes its bogging and after between 5-10 seconds will take off. Which isn't ideal at a red light. and once it does start delivering fuel I have to take into account the sticking gears with 1st and 2nd. So yeah that's where I'm at, thank you for reading this far and any advice would be much appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
3,049 Posts
Welcome to ALLFORDMUSTANGS!
Please read the Site Rules and be sure to complete your Account Settings.
We’re glad you’ve joined us.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I would agree with 90lxwhite's assessment that it might be one in the same problem.
Even if it's not you can't just assume that it's a fuel issue. Your 2.3L is fuel injected with dual coil packs and 2 plugs per cylinder. You also have a mass air sensor and all the other electronics and emissions controls that come with a fuel injected engine. There might be some trouble codes registered. You have the older OBD-I diagnostic so you can have it scanned but you need a scanner that reads OBD-I. There is a procedure to do it yourself without a scan tool but it's not nearly as convenient as scanning it: DIY KOEO/KOER/Cylinder Balance Self-Test Procedure (sbftech.com)
You could call around to various auto parts stores to see if their scanners with their free scan service can read OBD-I. OBD-I cars don't have the same level of diagnostic ability that OBD-II cars do so you have to figure out the problem with whatever info the vehicle's computer may give you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts